Welder questions

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockb1

Built For Speed!
Well i am new at this so I have a few questions. I am going to attempt to repair my doors myself, scary I know. I have been donated some scrap steel to practice on. So my question is what type of a welder should I be using to do body work? I have a few buddies that have welders that are willing to loan me one and maybe even give me a hand. I know that they have used them to do exhaust work and frame welding. Now I have no idea what type of welders they have, and even i they told me its all greek to me.
I am wondering anything that is a standard 110, is that worth using? will it work well for basic body repair? I am looking to weld up patch panels on my doors and build a floor and trans tunnel in my cab. Any suggestions, please.
Thanks

Brett

I guess I'll throw in a pair of pennies here. 110V will work fine for body work, but you're young, ambitious and obviously addicted to rods so this will not be the only thing you end up welding. 220V will initially cost you more, but it will also be powerful enough to safely weld chassis and steel gauges 1/4" and greater. You can always turn the heat down on 220, but can only go so far with 110. Avoid flux core...it's too tricky for a beginner and $ for $ isn't really any cheaper-go for the gas, your grinder will thank you.

That being determined, I will not recommend a brand as Lincoln, Hobart, Miller and perhaps some others all seem to be equally used and respected. I will recommend that you buy one at a local supply store that carries wire and parts for your buzz-box.

Anyway, that's my opinion...consider anyone elses opinion to be as valid.

I guess I'll throw in a pair of pennies here. 110V will work fine for body work, but you're young, ambitious and obviously addicted to rods so this will not be the only thing you end up welding. 220V will initially cost you more, but it will also be powerful enough to safely weld chassis and steel gauges 1/4" and greater. You can always turn the heat down on 220, but can only go so far with 110. Avoid flux core...it's too tricky for a beginner and $ for $ isn't really any cheaper-go for the gas, your grinder will thank you.

That being determined, I will not recommend a brand as Lincoln, Hobart, Miller and perhaps some others all seem to be equally used and respected. I will recommend that you buy one at a local supply store that carries wire and parts for your buzz-box.

Anyway, that's my opinion...consider anyone elses opinion to be as valid.

Hey thanks! ya I think i am just going to borrow one of my friends for now. I know one of them is a 110 and thats why I was thinking about it. i figure I have to start somewhere so why not borrow one and see if I can get the hang of it.

Mr. Throttle is right on the money. A name brand welder is your best bet. The only thing he did not cover is best case wire, and best case gas. which would be mix gas 75/25, and I like smaller wire for sheet metal 0.25.
But those are best case. You can accomplish plenty with 0.30 and straight Co2.

Big flakey rust is not what you want to weld on, clean off as much as you can, paint too, to get to the steel. (Cleaner is better). Take your time.

Once I get the motor all buttoned up its onto the cab. I plan on really sanding this thing down and seeing just where the problems are. It doesnt really have to be perfect, just whole. I want to make this thing as solid as I can. Thanks for the info guys.

i'll add a pennny's worth, too...if you are forced to work outside or in front of a garage remember to block any wind from your work area...wire welding w/gas is best, but wind blows it away making welds weaker and uglier!;)

Latest posts

Back