Axel

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BUSTEDKNUCKLE

Can anyone give me some advice on welding to the factory cast steel piece that connects from the trailing arms to the axel? Is that piece cast steel or forged steel? and can it be welded to like they did from the factory? I cut the old trailing arms of and left about an inch of the old arm attached to the cast part. Just looking for some clear direction to go here.

Curt

Some are drop forged, some are cast center sections. Depends on which axle? Drop forged is no problem to weld, cast is a big problem. We can go through the "how to weld cast" info, but a picture of the axle would do wonders for giving advise. The axle tubes are probably steel, and can be welded on very easily. If there are factory welds, then it can be welded.

Thanks

Thank you BONEHEAD,
The part I am trying to weld is where the original trailing arms have been cut off. You are correct, the trailing has been welded to the cast iron piece at the factory. I will take a pic and post. What I have is a 1940 ford axel assembly.

Thanks Curt

They are forged steel. Fine to weld on, but make sure you know what you are doing. Suspension components are not a place for questionable welds...

Thank you

Busted is an experienced car builder but that is good overall advice! :eek:

Beercan

Thanks for the great information! I plan to heat the forged iron piece up before welding. I have also left about 1 inch from where the factory welded the forged iron to the steel trailing arm. I will plan to weld with great care. Any other sugestions are very welcome.

CURT

I do know cast metal needs to be heated to around 500deg for good penetration..

using a rosebud and a heat crayon is the perfect way to acheive heat, without ruining the structural integrity of the metal -- once you hit a visible cherry red, you've already ruined the metal

if you're not sure of the metal, heating also makes it a little easier and nicer to weld, anyway..

so I'd vote for, better safe, than sorry

Latest posts

Back