Somethings Not Lining Up

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ratcrazy

I have a rearend out of a 80 model F150. After setting the engine in the frame and centering it between the rails I fabricated my engine mounts and got those tacked in place. I put the rearend in position and the yoke on the rearend is 2 inches to the left of center looking from the front. I dropped a plumb-bob in the center of the rails and took these pictures.

What kind of effect is this going to cause in the drivetrain?

How can I get the rearend yoke and the transmisson yoke to line up?

Should I relocate the engine out of center or look for another readend? If another rearend is needed what model Ford has a centered hogshead?

My thinking is if I relocate the engine and move it over out of center there goes the passenger side inside. No seat room:eek:

Thanks
Larry

Attachments

• DSCF0885.jpg
    DSCF0885.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 40
  • DSCF0886.jpg
    DSCF0886.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCF0887.jpg
    DSCF0887.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 52
Your driveshaft is pretty long. Shouldn't create a problem having the pinion offset. Many rear ends are built that way. The angle should not excees 3 degrees. Run a string straight back from the transmission and another from the transmission to the center of the rear yoke and measure the included angle.

You are okay. The pinion offset is usually made up with different axle/tube lengths, centering the pinion in the car. But if you have the rear centered side to side it will not hurt anything to have the pinion offset to the side like that as long as you leave room in the driveshaft tunnel for it. Some cars actually do have the engine offset to one side from the factory. Some folks intentionally set their car/truck up the way you have done so that when viewed from the rear, the center of the housing is centered in the car. It won't hurt anything.

Last edited:
It wont cause any problems I am running the same rear ends. The only thing you have to do is offset your driveshaft tunnel. Driveshaft will run at a slight angle.

My understanding, if I remember correctly, the truck rears have the offset pinion (chunk centered) and the cars have the pinion centered (chunk offset). Not sure it holds true for all. My theory is for cars they wanted the floor 'hump' centered but trucks have enough clearance not to worry about it.

Thanks for all the input. I wanted to be sure before I made any more progress and then end up having to redo what is done.

Bob, you mention 3 degree angle, if it turns out to be more than 3 degree what should I do?

Thanks again to all
Larry

I have heard, but have no experience, of 5 degrees working for people. Might get somewhat faster u-joint wear or a minor vibration at a particular speed. Just based on your picture, I'd go ahead and not worry about it. I have a 2 foot driveshaft with a 1" offset and it is ok.

Think of it this way the rearend was engineered that way so don't worry about it. Do not offset the rearend that would be the only way to fix this and it would not be good.

Latest posts

Back