auto trans for a 40 ford

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOT40ROD

I am going to drop a SB ford and trans in my 40 ford. The question is will a C6 or a FMX fit with out cutting the X frame? I know the C4 fits but right now i can find c6 and fmx for half the price of a C4.

if you are going to run a small block you can bolt it to the c-6. The FMX trans aren't as strong or easy to get parts for. the C-4's are so much because of the mustang guys. if it were me I would look in to and AOD Ford trans if you had to have an auto. they have all the strength of a c-6 with better gearing and an over drive. I talked to the guys at BigFoot 4x4 and they use C-6 trans but they use an AOD first Gear. You can find them pretty cheap. you can some times buy a nice running car with an AOD in it for the price of a used c-4 or 6. They were used in the Mustangs, Crown Vic's and Marquis in the mid to late eighties. As far as fitting You should be able to do it as long as your engine mounting is set right. you have to worry about the tail shaft locaton to the Cross member. off the top of my head I would say yes it should fit. (C-6)
The FMX is typically pretty big in comparison. Just my memory on that.

Just a thought.

Good luck.

....you can also get a c-4 in an old pickup (mine was in an '84 F150). Basically anything that had a 302 or smaller in it had a c-4 until it was replaced by the c-5 and then AOD. Only downside to AOD is I believe it requires a module. I don't think a c-5 does, which is basically a c-4 with overdrive, but those are hard to find.

the c4 is ok but will need to be beefed up to handle much power. in stock form they
r not the best trans out there. the c-6 is pretty strong & durable. the AOD trans
is not the best in my opinion. overdrive is neat but the fords give more trouble than the gm transmissions. not nocking fords just basing on what i have seen personally working
in a LARGE fleet shop. if i was building a ford i would use a c6.

Latest posts

Back