tranny and rearend

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phat_sally

I have a saginaw 4 spd coming for my rod but now I am wondering. Is all the gearing in the rearend or do I need to know something about the transmission as far as gearing before I get a rearend. I have been thinking that I want a mustang GT rearend I think 8.8. What would be best. I am putting a small block 350 engine. I will be cutting bed down and shortening the wheel suspension so back tires should be like 2 to 3 from cab

That Saginaw 4 speed transmission, or most any other that isn't an overdrive 5 or 6 speed, will have a final drive ratio of 1:1. In other words, You don't need to anything else to choose your rear differential gears. Just a word of advice though, don't get too carried way with the ratio and choose something that is to deep. You'll hate yourself later and your car won't be any fun to drive on the highway.

thanks

thanks for the info. I have been argueing with my old man about this and he said i needed to make sure it will work together and that it would not be 1:1. Do you think a mustang GT rearend would be ok I dont know what gearing they come with

when trans shows up just stab it in 4th gear on the workbench and you'll see real quick that it's 1:1 --the input will turn 1 round exactly in like the output...as far as GT mustag rears are concerned in the "fox bodies" all of the rears were 2:73 with a 3:08 option for 5 spd cars and a 3:27 ratio option for auto's--i haven't kept up with the newer body style stuff though so i really don't know about them but think most of it still applied up till 99 anyway..and 94 up were 5 lug vs. 93 down 4 lug...
btw fords are nice enuf to put a tin tag on the rear-held by a cover bolt-that will tell you the ratio and if limited slip (posi) or not...

Latest posts

Back