trike dream

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earthman

Fascinated by rolling objects!
Tempe AZ on the corner of Oak and Southern
I'm thinking about a trike using the front clip from a frontwheel drive car for
the engine and transaxle. Securing the axle so it no longer steers. Just mounting the fork and front frame section from one of my junk bikes to the front of the clip. I don,t see any real obstacles except getting it to look right proportionatly. Like the crusing dependability, power and maybe even a/c ducts blowing cold air :) Will have to make some sketches. Will take some major imagination to make it look good. Any input
appreciated.

Earthman I've been having the same thoughts for years but haven't sketched anything either. I haven't seen any rea obstacles either. Were you thinking V6, V8 or 4? I think I would go V6. The biggest thing would be choosing the right doner.

gnm2.jpg

BH,I am thinking now of enclosing the engine in a rusty metal and old wood box with possible extra storage space. In the back the height would not be critical.
Have to keep it from becoming too massive and of course it's gotta look right tho.
Thanks for your thought.

Rainman, i like the idea of economy and simplicity of a four cyl and agree the donor that was chosen would make a big difference. Maybe a VW front drive diesel :) Prefer to use American (in name at least),really wouldn' be content using asian stuff. Love the look of C-cab panels and the rear doors but the single wheel and fork on the front doesn't balance to me.

I think you would have to make it narrow to get the look right, I agree ab out doner I would stay AMERICAN too. My son runs oval track and has a mini stock car that might work its a Ford Probe V6, I'll look it over a little better and get back on that.

I won't speak for Earthman but I've been riding my whole life and when you get a little older 3 wheels start looking better and better. Right now I have a 91 Lowrider and a 73 Superglide but I wouldnt mind having a 3 wheel chopper. Yep if I decide to build one it will be in the 60's chopper style. By the way just had knee surgery two weeks ago.

I saw some at Sturgis last year, they look silly. Rider all crouched down like he's on a crotch rocket but maybe too wuss to hold up a 2 wheeler is the impression I got.

Kinda agree here. There is one locally that runs the whole front clip from a compact car with the seat in front of the bumper and an old metric cruiser handlebar/front frame. Looks worse than it sounds. Have also seen the T-bucket chopper and it wasn't a good looking trike. You'll really have to design it well to make the transition from bike to car visually appealing. Good luck with it, hope you can beat the odds and have a real head turner!

Yeah I saw a t-bucket trike once I think the guy was from Ga. it was really well done, typically I don't like them. It's the only one that comes to mind I ever liked.

Thanks for the link Dog. Some dude i knew used a flipped over VW axle ( mid engine dune buggy style) with a 110 hp Corvair engine. ( they used to make adaptors) Harley front frame section and neck. Big balloonie farm implement rear tires with fat scavenger pipe stacks in back. It was a short and solid wheelie machine. Never thought much about then but i don't think i have ever seen the flipped over trans-axle trick again. So what i am saying is it was a mid-engine VW trike.

I'm under cars all day and I always look at which ones would lend themselves to this type build. Today I was looking at a 95? Dodge Intrepid and it looks like the best candidate I've seen so far. The engine is mounted inline which makes it narrower it has a very interesting frame that would be easy to build off from. Also looks to be easy to build strut towers off the frame. The only question is how reliable is this engine trans setup? Earthman if you get a chance check one out see what you think.

i had a friend start one of these for his dad but as far as i know he hasnt finished it yet he used a little dodge k-car and used the backhalf skins to cover the engine and tranny so when you open the trunklid you can check the oil and radiator i also have another friend that started one out of a corvair it runs and moves under its own power and he wants to sell it but i am in nw iowa:(

I rode one that a buddy of mines unkle built buy useing the frount of a chevy lumina ,v-6 fuel injected duall fan radiater and all it was awsome but way more power than was needed [did ''i'' just say that?]but was really fun to drive and quite easy to build.i been wanting to build one ever sence but use a 4 cyclender front wheel drive mabie.
The thing about the lumina is that the whole frount clip comes out with just like 6 bolts the computer harness and all is under the hood on certain years.

Latest posts

Back