Took my wife adventuring yesterday...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

animal

I live in a big valley on top of the Rockies. (7,600' of elevation on the valley floor) I've been working a lot on a side job and trying to get some writing done, but yesterday I took my wife out for a drive and a hike.

I'd found what looked like an abandoned old mine vent shaft on Google Earth, and we drove up there to check it out. The climb from the road to the shaft is super steep, and my little 2wd Dakota got us about halfway there before we ran into lots of rocks and drifted crusty snow on the little two-track trail. :(

Marcia and I both have knee issues, so we took it slow the last steep section. Sadly, the shaft is full of snow, so I don't know how deep it is, but the view from up there was spectacular. On the way down to the valley floor, we took a road neither of us had been on before and found what's left of the old town the mine builder founded. There isn't much left, but we really enjoyed a day away from our normal routine. :)

This is the view from were we parked back down to the road. It's steeper than it looks!
attachment.php

This is the view from where we parked up toward the shaft. We had to climb up and around that hill on top. Good thing we weren't in a hurry! :rolleyes:
attachment.php

This is what's left of a small structure that was next to the shaft.
attachment.php

This big jumble of rocks is next to the snow-filled shaft.
attachment.php

This is looking south toward New Mexico.
attachment.php

Looking east...those are the Sangre de Cristo mountains in the distance, across the valley floor.
attachment.php

Looking north...
attachment.php

Me on the big rock formation, checking out the scenery when we first climbed up there. My wife thought it was a cool snapshot.
attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCF3279.jpg
    DSCF3279.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 60
  • DSCF3280.jpg
    DSCF3280.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 60
  • DSCF3266.jpg
    DSCF3266.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 60
  • DSCF3272.jpg
    DSCF3272.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 60
  • DSCF3267.jpg
    DSCF3267.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCF3269.jpg
    DSCF3269.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCF3281.jpg
    DSCF3281.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 62
  • Me on Crystal Hill.jpg
    Me on Crystal Hill.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 62
These two old cabins, the old stable, and the rock-faced garage are about all that's left of Biedell, an old mining town in Sanderson Gulch, on the west side of the San Luis Valley in south-central Colorado.

The road down to the Valley Floor is quite scenic.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• BScabinlg.jpg
    BScabinlg.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 60
  • BSgarage3lg.jpg
    BSgarage3lg.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 59
  • SAM_0042.jpg
    SAM_0042.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 58
  • SAM_0051.jpg
    SAM_0051.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 58
  • SAM_0053.jpg
    SAM_0053.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 58
  • SAM_0064.jpg
    SAM_0064.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 58
  • SAM_0068.jpg
    SAM_0068.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Beautiful pictures! We have a two wheel drive Dakota as well.....I wouldn't have the guts to take it anywhere near that remote! LOL!

The wife and I vacationed in Colorado for 10 years in a row. Spent most of the time day hiking in Rocky Mtn. National Park, and other places. Wonderful picturesque state you live in. Your pics are an excellent reminder of our good times out there.

That's the stuff you never get to see, as a visitor, unless someone like you showed them around.
Thanks for taking us along [cl:cool:

Beautiful pictures! We have a two wheel drive Dakota as well.....I wouldn't have the guts to take it anywhere near that remote! LOL!

Haha....that little truck is pretty much worthless in the snow or mud. My '56 Ford is much better on slick roads. Luckily, we were able to avoid most of the slick stuff yesterday.

Last edited:
Wow...very nice

I am on the East coast...but I have more family west of the Mississippi than I do East (Montana and Kansas)...so when I get to visit...I never wanna leave...love those shots.

thanks for sharing on here.

MikeC

Latest posts

Back