Hand cleaner

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Iron

I have trouble getting my hands clean from all the greasy parts I handle.
Used Dove beauty bar and worked pretty good then I thought spray some Shout on with the beauty bar lather :eek:
My hands came cleaner than any hand cleaner I've ever used :D
They even smell good :)

Good ideas. I put together something a few years ago when out of hand cleaner, and ended up with tiny blisters all over both hands. I couldn't remember what the combo was but, the Dr. told me not to use it again. No problem there.

Cooking oil works great for anything oil based. I use it first if I get thick grease into my cuticles or oil base paint or urethane on my hands. It dilutes it and then you can use dish soap to wash it all off. Might take a couple times, but it's better than smelling like paint thinner all night.

A little Corn Huskers lotion before you start....

and Dawn will cut thru about anything that you get on your hands from there...also keeps your hands soft for the Mrs...or significant other....LOL

if you have never tried corn huskers lotion it does keep the grease from soaking in....just is a bit thick and odd looking...;)

and Dawn will cut thru about anything that you get on your hands from there...also keeps your hands soft for the Mrs...or significant other....LOL

if you have never tried corn huskers lotion it does keep the grease from soaking in....just is a bit thick and odd looking...;)
Sarge, I had forgot about that trick thanks :)

My Grandpa was a heavy machinery mechanic. He always put hand lotion on and let it dry before getting dirty. The lotion fills the cracks and crevices so the grease won't.

Cooking oil works great for anything oil based. I use it first if I get thick grease into my cuticles or oil base paint or urethane on my hands. It dilutes it and then you can use dish soap to wash it all off. Might take a couple times, but it's better than smelling like paint thinner all night.

I'll bet your manicurist hates that paint thinner smell too.[ddd

I'll bet your manicurist hates that paint thinner smell too.[ddd

Why yes she does Bob. Besides, the paint thinner tends to dull the finish on my Russian purses. :D

Really though, the oil doesn't take any hard scrubbing since it naturally dilutes and softens it. Probably why putting an oily lotion on before helps too - it pre dilutes.

I used to have this stuff in a tube called silicon glove that I'd put on my hands before I did any greasy work. I can't even remember where I got the stuff but it was awesome and my hands would wash clean no matter what was on them.

Nowadays I tend to wear disposable gloves if I'm gonna get nasty. My skin has become sensitive and sometimes even the littlest amount of grime or even some soap will tear my hands up to the point that they're red, peeling, and inflamed.

Plain ole LAVA bar soap is hard to beat!

or Extreemly greasy hands, a couple shots of VEGTABLE OIL and a good washing with TIDE or liquid Dish Detergent and then the LAVA will usually do a good job.

A good SCRUB BRUSH is a big help too.

I also grease them up with lotion or udder balm beeswax balm or crack creme and they always come clean with little effort.
I got this beezwax stuff that's the consistency of shoe polish that stays on really good

The ONE AND ONLY place on earth where its okay for guys to share their experiences with lotions, balms, wax's, oils (not motor oil) and other weird creamy substances!!!!

I've done the dawn with comet or ajax and it works pretty well. I remember using that combo when i was a kid working with my dad so im font of the scent.

I've thought about the liquid glove stuff and now that i hear more comments about it, i might try it out. Sometimes i just get too excited to start ripping into a project to remember to change out of my good cloths, let alone prepping my hands :D

And while where on the subject, i've been successful washing greasy/ oily crap from good jeans by dropping in some salt into the hot water in the wash cycle. Dunno why, but its worked well for me.

Now you've gone and done it...

The ONE AND ONLY place on earth where its okay for guys to share their experiences with lotions, balms, wax's, oils (not motor oil) and other weird creamy substances!!!!

I've done the dawn with comet or ajax and it works pretty well. I remember using that combo when i was a kid working with my dad so im font of the scent.

I've thought about the liquid glove stuff and now that i hear more comments about it, i might try it out. Sometimes i just get too excited to start ripping into a project to remember to change out of my good cloths, let alone prepping my hands :D

And while where on the subject, i've been successful washing greasy/ oily crap from good jeans by dropping in some salt into the hot water in the wash cycle. Dunno why, but its worked well for me.

Tman will now give us the chemical formula as to why salt combined with the hot water enhances the cleansing power of the laundry detergent...LOL[cl
Sorry Tman, just kidding.....:D Salt really does soften the water and therefore does make it easier on the laundry soap to clean......so lodgically it would help....just like borax or any of those laundry additives that help clean the clothes..... :eek: I feel like Martha Stewart!!!! :eek:

Latest posts

Back