Defroster

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob w

Still crazy after all these years!
Does anyone have experience with those little heater/defrosters that plug into the cigarette lighter?
My Rover has no provision for defroster ducts due to modifications by me. There is a shelf just below the windshield where I could mount those small ceramic heater/ defrosters.

I have tried one once, I live near chicago where it gets cold just like where you live....DON'T PUT IT CLOSE TO THE WINDSHIELD IN THE COLD WEATHER!! ...My windshield exploded! the ceramic heats up so fast it expands the glass. that's what I was told?

My heater core went out in my 02 chevy and I have 2 of the heaters. They will pop a fuse in a heart beat. lol I ran a new wire and cig connector and can run both at the same time now.

How much heat do they put out sneakysnake? I was thinking about getting one temporarily for my car until I get a heat-AC unit. Wouldn't have to heat the entire car toasty, just something to cut the chill a bit....

I got one of those small heater boxes from Speedway and have been thinking of adding a defroster duct. Overkill maybe for down here but moisture is always present and a foggy windshield happens sometimes. I was thinking that just a length of rubber hose(like heater hose) with some sort of fabricated bracket to attach to the heater and a choice of positions the rubber would allow could be a fix. Defrosters really don't need alot of of air movement as long as the air is warm, the glass will clear pretty quickly.

How much heat do they put out sneakysnake? I was thinking about getting one temporarily for my car until I get a heat-AC unit. Wouldn't have to heat the entire car toasty, just something to cut the chill a bit....

I'm running 2 like this, they put out enough to keep the drivers side window clear and I set the other blowing on my legs. They wont put out enough heat to run you out but do help and help defrost. They will pull about 15 amps so they tend to pop the fuses on standard cig circuit
http://www.amazon.com/Roadpro-12V-Heater-Swing-out-Handle/dp/B000IXTGHW

41JHpxLfdfL.jpg

I tried a HF one and it popped fuses almost automatically. I never rewired the lighter so i have it sitting on the shelf. Some others i know said the heat was limited but better than nothing. Just my experience.

Wireless, before the term was coined...

attachment.php

attachment.php

... sorry for the hijack, but you triggered some memories!

Attachments

• frost shield.jpg
    frost shield.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 56
  • frost shield1.jpg
    frost shield1.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 57
I'm running 2 like this, they put out enough to keep the drivers side window clear and I set the other blowing on my legs. They wont put out enough heat to run you out but do help and help defrost. They will pull about 15 amps so they tend to pop the fuses on standard cig circuit
http://www.amazon.com/Roadpro-12V-Heater-Swing-out-Handle/dp/B000IXTGHW

41JHpxLfdfL.jpg

Wow... never heard of such... but probably not that much of an issue here in Central Hades... err... Tejas!

BoB

Thank you everyone for your input. Seems like it's worth a try. Dr. C., I remember those "double pane" windows. Goes to prove old cars didn't defrost very well. Us kids used to breathe on the glass and draw pictures in the frost.

Sounds like it would be best to run a new dedicated circuit just for one of those. I think I would run it directly off the battery with a 10 gauge or so wire with it's own circuit breaker or fuse right at the battery.
I may pick one up and try it later on.

Latest posts

Back