Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! (http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transmission, Rear End... Talk & Q&A! (http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Eliminate trans powered pto, use electric motor? (http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37636)

jmlcolorado 04-05-2019 08:38 PM

Eliminate trans powered pto, use electric motor?

2 Attachment(s)
Working on a 1955 Ford f600 chassis swap onto a school bus.
Truck currently has a transmission driven PTO.
The bus has PTO provisions, however not sure if it actually has the gear inside or not. Looking around, itís a pricy endeavor to add a gear if it doesnít have it, and I havnt been able to source a pto unit for this trans yet.
Allison MT634

Can install an electric motor via pull or chain to the hydraulic pump for my dump bed? My fear is it pulls too much power to be electric.
Thoughts?

jmlcolorado 04-05-2019 08:39 PM

If itís possiable, do you have a motor youíd sudgest?

kenny c 04-05-2019 09:01 PM

You may be able to get an electric hydraulic motor. It would have to have a good sized tank by by the looks of the size of the cylinders. it might not be fast going up but it would work. Try Surplus Center, they may have something.

kenny c 04-05-2019 09:07 PM

As far as the PTO most run off of an existing gear in the trans. If you have the trans tag you can go to a company like Cocroft and they can hook you up with a PTO.

jmlcolorado 04-05-2019 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenny c (Post 511032)
As far as the PTO most run off of an existing gear in the trans. If you have the trans tag you can go to a company like Cocroft and they can hook you up with a PTO.

My research is showing that this particular trans always has the gear in it for the PTO EXCEPT bus trans.
I tried looking for a tag, but itís awfully messy down there :)
I just need to take the cover off and see if there is a gear or a tone ring.

MercuryMac 04-05-2019 10:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Welcome back Jml,
I am facing a similar dilemma, a '36 Ford two ton that I'm going to put a grain box on. The truck has the original transmission so has the rectangular hole for a PTO. I might have found a PTO housing and then again I might not. My original idea was to yank out the stock flathead motor and install a 460 and automatic trans, so I would have to get creative for a pump drive. For the first few years I'll be using the flatty and the four speed.
I'll be watching for your solution, and learning.

jmlcolorado 04-05-2019 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MercuryMac (Post 511054)
Welcome back Jml,
I am facing a similar dilemma, a '36 Ford two ton that I'm going to put a grain box on. The truck has the original transmission so has the rectangular hole for a PTO. I might have found a PTO housing and then again I might not. My original idea was to yank out the stock flathead motor and install a 460 and automatic trans, so I would have to get creative for a pump drive. For the first few years I'll be using the flatty and the four speed.
I'll be watching for your solution, and learning.

Thatís a fanstsic lookin truck Mac!

Our trucks are quite similar.

If I could get some info on this pto drive, I could figure out what HP it takes......but unfortunately Iím in the dark as there really isnít any marking on it that I can find.

I was also looking at engine driven ptoís, but Iím afraid I wonít have much room to smash more crap under the hood of this trucks once itís on the frame.
Have you checked out my build?
Itís all only in concept at this point. Still working out feasibility, but I already have a few busses. And one is getting cut up anyways. So somethings gonna happen :)

smallfoot 04-06-2019 06:11 AM

a wagon load of those lifts were made by Perfection. You may find some specs there. I'm planning on using this set-up on mine and change to electric over hydraulic.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

wjcgasser 04-06-2019 11:21 AM

Could you run it off the power steering pump. I did that for a 8í blade I had on a truck and a spear on the back to carry a round bale

MercuryMac 04-06-2019 12:39 PM

Oh yes, Jml, I've been watching your build. I like Smallfoots suggestion and it reminded me of the two electric/hydraulic systems that I already have. One is my car hoist in the shop, [110v though], and one is my hotrodded trailing garden rotovator. I never liked the 5hp motor on the rotovator so when it blew up I took a 16hp motor off my grain auger and that rotovator came alive. At the end of the garden when I had to turn around on the lawn to go back the other way I realized that a motor that is three times as powerful, is three times as heavy and I couldn't lift it out of the ground manually so I had to put hydraulics on the rotovator -------- and patch up the lawn.
I've never tried gassers idea but I believe it will work. I want to try it on an old tractor.