Dodge 2 seat roadster?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

falconvan

Just a wild idea; I cut up a 48 Dodge sedan to part out and shoved these parts together. I'm going to leave them in the shop for a while and see if an idea brews. You hate to pitch anything thats free and has potential.

Attachments

• IMG_1564.JPG
    IMG_1564.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_1565.JPG
    IMG_1565.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 340
Man! That's interesting. Maybe one of the artists on RRR will whip up a sketch starting with what you have there. It sure looks like it has potential.

I see a find roadster setting there with a little more trimming on the body about the body lines and a about a 4 inch chop on the windshield. I see the side panels being cut down a little too where the doors should be.
Good start dude.:D whatcha waiting on:confused:

dodge 2 seater roadster

heres one, give me some more ideas for the style you like n i'll whip up a better one....dp1

Attachments

• Scan.jpg
    Scan.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 201
Now, that's pretty cool; thanks! I need to stare at it for a few months and get some ideas, but that's pretty close to what I was thinking. Probably cant afford a Hemi, though. I was thinking of a straight six, five speed, "A" based frame with a dropped straight axle, top hood flowing into an "A" grille with the sides of the engine exposed; just need to visualize the shape of the rear as there is nothing there right now. Definately cut about five inches off the bottom, chop the windshield, narrow the whole works a little and channel it. It'll either be a cool one of a kind ride or a pile of scrap, but I can't pitch it without trying. Either way it'll be an adventure. Thanks for the ideas!

Just want to report that I've made absolutely 0 progress, but it's still in the garage and I'm getting better ideas all the time. This will be a roadster before i retire. That gives me about 25 years to figure it out.:D

Yes, I did. I sold it last summer to a Iraq vet up in Washington who lost an arm in combat. Very nice guy; I was glad to see it go to him. I'm still working on my 48 Plymouth coupe for myself and I've got a V8 powered Chevette I'm putting together that will be for sale. What going on in your garage these days?

How about turning it into a VW look alike? :D

Actually, I like the roadster idea. If I had the skills (or at least parts) I'd try that one myself. Something like the proportions of early Jaguar:
800px-Jaguar_SS_100_-_right.jpg

800px-1950_Jaguar_XK120_34.jpg

NO, I'M NOT RETARDED (although my wife might argue that with stories and pictures) - I don't mean make a Jaguar, just the proportions with the cockpit set way back behind a extended hood with the front axle right up front.

I've tossed this idea around a couple times with my 48 sedan, but never really figured out how to manage the fenderless look without narrowing the body.

I would narrow the body, so the tires would stick out.
Maybe slice some off the bottom.

Rework the header across the top of the windshield,
so it doesn't look so heavy.

A long hood would be cool, with louvered sides.

I would narrow the body, so the tires would stick out.
Maybe slice some off the bottom.

Rework the header across the top of the windshield,
so it doesn't look so heavy.

A long hood would be cool, with louvered sides.

This is pretty much what I'm thinking, along with sectioning the forward portion of the rear wheel opening and moving it back to create a quarterpanel between the rear wheel and back of the door and reduce the length of the wheel opening. Good call.

The idea isnt dead yet; just aquired another piece of the puzzle. It'll probably be a while before I can start on it; just finished my Chevette and still have my 48 coupe tore down. Just thought I'd keep the thread alive for now.

Attachments

• frame.jpg
    frame.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 25
Saw this one at the KKOA in Salina, KS last year. was a Father/ Son project from Colorado

Attachments

• Salina 2008 004.jpg
    Salina 2008 004.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 102
  • Salina 2008 003.jpg
    Salina 2008 003.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 82
Now that's pretty slick! I saw a bubbletop called "Atomic Punk" in Rod and Custom a few months ago that was built from the back end of a 59 Plymouth Savoy; that's kind of what gave me the idea. Great stuff, thanks!

Still no actual work but I am collecting parts for when I decide to get started. I picked up a 31 Model A frame, front axle, and wishbone, a 1968 250 straight six, and a rearend from a 96 Firebird that I'm parting out. Hopefully this winter I'll be able to put some hours into it to see if I can get the body shape close to some ideas that I have written down. Until then we'll just drop a post here and there to keep the idea alive.

Latest posts

Back