Adding rear windows to my 3-window coupe!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripper

Older and more rusted every day!
I'd love to change my 3-window into a 5-window but the panels I've seen to do that are like $399 a piece & that ain't gonna happen. Any suggestions?!

BoB

Are you talking about corner windows like's on an AD 5 window pickup?
If so, cut them out of an AD
Get the AD glass of da bay and have Mike at cornfield make the panels

Are you talking about corner windows like's on an AD 5 window pickup?
If so, cut them out of an AD
Get the AD glass of da bay and have Mike at cornfield make the panels

Iron,
No... like on a 20's-30's 5 window coupe! These are the patch panels that are $399. $800 to make a 3-window into a 5-window on a ratty is not gonna happen! :eek:[ddd

BoB

Attachments

• patchpanel.jpg
    patchpanel.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 7
Unless you did some major surgery and shortened the doors I wouldn't do it anyway. Just not enough "meat" there to carry a window aesthetically...

Bob, I should think you can fab all most any thing [S or find an old 5 window top. [;)
If i remember right didn't everyone want a 3 window and most scraped the 5 windows [S
Are you looking to add leg room [S

Tripper, I agree with you that a five window is much nicer than a three window, but I also agree with BED that you might not have enough room to put a full-sized rear quarter window in there and make it look nice. Maybe pull up an internet picture of a '33/'34 Plymouth coupe and look at their windows, or Photoshop a window in your car until it works for you, or all of the above.
Keep on tinkering.

Tripper, I agree with you that a five window is much nicer than a three window, but I also agree with BED that you might not have enough room to put a full-sized rear quarter window in there and make it look nice. Maybe pull up an internet picture of a '33/'34 Plymouth coupe and look at their windows, or Photoshop a window in your car until it works for you, or all of the above.
Keep on tinkering.

Agreed... no way it could be full sized... definitely need to be cut down. Gonna PS & see what I think. Sort of a passing idea anyway... need to get started splitting the bones on my '46 Ford front end!

BoB

I would like to see some of your Photo-shopping Tripper, because I was looking at an early '32 Desoto once and the five window thought passed through my mind too. Do you think there were any Dodge or Chrysler five window coupes until late in '32?
Don't extend the back of the cab back over the trunk area to give yourself more window room. That would ruin the visual balance of the car. I think that's the reason that late forties Ford long door coupes were slow to catch on, the trunk area is too short for the rest of the car.

Last edited:
Hey Tripper are you still thinking about doing this? I was given the back end of a late thirties/early forties coupe, I will get a couple pictures and measurements for the windows if your interested.

Hey Tripper are you still thinking about doing this? I was given the back end of a late thirties/early forties coupe, I will get a couple pictures and measurements for the windows if your interested.
If you were closer, I'd want to get in line for that half-a-coupe. Convert one of my trucks.

Dozer... decided not to but many thanks for the offer!!!

BoB

There's not much left of it but I'm sure I could cut out around the windows and shipping would't be too bad.
Thanks. I'm thinking I need the whole thing to make a coupe out of a PU cab. Then again, they might work for making a "King Cab". Can you put up some pics? Someone will need them, I am sure. Any idea what the original car was?

Sorry to hijack your thread Tripper.

Skip I went out to look at it yesterday, turn out it is a 36 Chevy 5 window. The frame, front axle, fenders and cowl are one piece and the body from the bottom of the A pillars is another, the roof is a mess. The door are missing and maybe underneath

Last edited:
I'd drag the whole thing home and (try to) build it at that price. Sadly, even the closese part of your state is a bit far from me.

Oh ya it's coming home with me, just have to wait for break-up to get over with and things dry up, don't know if the roof can be straightened out, hoping the doors are underneath.

I think you just might be surprised as how well that roof will punch back out. Its kind of like inflating a flat soccer ball. There is nowhere else to go. If I can straighten out a susaphone that a garage fell on, you can do that car. I'll be watching for a build theread.

Latest posts

Back