I'm Gonna Build A Dragster!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2009_0307trk0005.jpg

Exhaust pipes!
Thankyou everyone for the encouraging comments. This old hermit appreciates it.

2009_0313trk0006.jpg

I swiped a couple tires & wheels off another car for the front and the rears are just blocked in place. It does give an idea of what this thing will look like. The gas tank, seat belt mounts, driveshaft hoop, master cut off switch, battery cables, and front hubs are done. Lots of small jobs remain. I'll be making the body panels out of poster board soon. Kinda excited to see what it will look like then.

This looks like it will be slightly faster than my slant 6 Volare I had in high school.

Seriously, this is really cool and unique. I love 6 pots. You'll have to post some video so we can all here it when you get it fired up!

2009_0315trk0001.jpg

I got a Geo radiator & electric fan from the junkyard Sat. Tried laying it down between the frame rails but it creates a lot of extra work to have it that way. I had a fiberglass "T" radiator shell laying around so I narrowed it 5" & shortened it 3" and stood the radiator up. Looking at pics of early-mid 50's dragsters, lots of them ran radiators positioned this way, so I'll go with it.
I have grandsons, so I'm sure we'll be able to get "action video" of this thing when I get it running. Hoping to leave some black stripes in the driveway.:D

2009_0316trk0007.jpg

I have a posterboard body. Well, a cowl top and left side. I think it would look better if I have a straight line along the bottom. It would be at the bottom of the frame rail. What do you think?

I think it would look better with a straight line along the bottom. How feasible would it be to roll it under into a belly pan from the front of the cowl back to where your frame kick up begins and then follow the bottom of the frame to the back?

Last edited:
I've been thinking along those same lines. The material I can get is 5052 H32 aluminum. It is fairly hard. I'm not sure if it will roll, or bend in a brake without cracking.:confused: Maybe Bonehead or someone else could offer some insight.

bob, the car is looking really good! Now that the weather is warm I am going to have to come look. You can roll 5052 nicely if you aneal it first. I'm thinking that cool intake manifold needs 3 carter 318 carbs turned sideways so the ports line up, just my 2 cents. Tator

The radiator/shell looks good Bob W. The body too. I do like the idea of making it straight along the bottom, especially if you could roll the edge.

2009_0317trk0008.jpg

"Posterboard" body with a straight line across the bottom. Looks much better IMO.
I fiberglassed the radiator shell back together but the resin doesn't want to "kick" in my 50 degree garage.

Lookin' really good!

Bob,
Caught up on u're thread again & I love it... + I love slanters. Have a line on one right now & hope I can pick it up!

BoB

Latest posts

Back