Chevy ll 283 V-8 Engine Block with Recessed Oil Filter Boss

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skull

''SARCASM: just one of his many talents.''
a guy l have known for years last week has decided to clean his garage out of the stuff he'd never use and instead of scrapping it he told me to come get it.

very happy he thought of me and did not scrap it. he gave me 5 small blocks, 4 cranks and a slew of rods & pistons and 6 sets of heads including 2 pair of 194's.

2 327 blocks,

1 35O 4 bolt main short block,

2 283's, one standard, one is the rare Chevy ll 283 V-8 engine block with recessed oil filter boss,

on line lv'e seen the recessed oil filter boss ones sell for 2k or more, is this a realistic price or are they dreaming[S:confused:?

he's still in cleaning mode and said he'll have more goodies for me soon.

Later:cool:

Attachments

• recessed chevy 283.jpg
    recessed chevy 283.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 48
  • Chevy II  Block 2.jpg
    Chevy II Block 2.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 44
  • Chevy II  Block 3.jpg
    Chevy II Block 3.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 41
  • Chevy II  Block 4.jpg
    Chevy II Block 4.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Did they actually sell for that, or was that the "buy it now" dream at the end of the rainbow? [S

Asking and getting are two very different things, especially online...

B E D ;Did they actually sell for that, or was that the "buy it now" dream at the end of the rainbow?

do not know but there is company online l found with several of these 283 and 327 ones and it is 2K+ for just the bare block on a CL ad

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-67-Ch...are-Block-w-Recessed-Oil-Filter-/371266850653

CL ad; Chevy ll 1962-1964 283CID V-8 casting # 3790721 Engine Block - $2250

smallfoot; when l sell it l will flip him some of the cash.

Last edited:
Looking around....

On the "bay" they are asking $1250. for this POS?

Yeah it's "vette" but......

Attachments

• rusty.jpg
    rusty.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 28
give

l hope so on the karma thing, l give a lot of parts to younger people trying to get enough stuff to build a rod and sell parts for way below market value or trade to help those l can.

Later :cool:

The numbers (and condition, of course) matter most.

The ebay ad is for casting#3862194 - That's 283 only. The ad states "They will be hot tanked, shot blasted, tumbled, cleaned, inspected and magnafuxed before shipping." Price is $1199.00.

#3790721 could be 283 or 327. You'd have to need a restoration perfect block BAD to pay $2250 for a 283. I think the CL guy is nuckin' futts, but I'm not restoring a Chevy II, either...

#3791362 is the most desirable and worth a small fortune... a larger fortune with L79 numbers.

Which casting # do you have, skull?

On the "bay" they are asking $1250. for this POS?

Yeah it's "vette" but......

That's ridiculous. Never mind the terrible pictures of a "found in the swamp" block... he posted the engine code and I quote...

"Just add your suffix code letter and vin!!!."

The code is FO115R - The R suffix denotes 1962 full size car... add a letter to the suffix and you could have any number of engines in any number of applications... but, if you're gonna commit fraud, might as well go for the Corvette... girls like Corvettes and the "girls" in prison probably do, too...

Do people really restore gen I Chevy IIs? I thought they were all hot rods by now. Especially if it only has two doors. [S

####

according to the chevy block decoder this 283 is either a 195 or 22O HP.

1965 to 1967 chevy II

3862194 and on the side is 194

l thinks that too doc:eek:

l have the crank, pistons and rods so if l get 8OO.OO l will be ecstatic but reality tells me 5OO.OO is closer to what l will get.

Last edited:
do not know but there is company online l found with several of these 283 and 327 ones and it is 2K+ for just the bare block on a CL ad

My point exactly. I could ask $10K for it - doesn't mean a thing. People like to throw the word "rare" around like it automatically translates to dollars. Not always so.

Ask him if it's worth $2000 when it's still sitting in the corner in 10 years.

I don't have those chevy numbers in my head anymore, had to delete thm to store Ford data. But once I did have a 283 block thad had no codes on the front pad. It came out of a pickup and the pickup casting number was the same as 58 Corvette. also a couple years ago sold a flywheel from a 60s 283 pickup to some Corvette guy for a healthy offer because it had the right numbers for one he was restoring. Like those concours judges are going to pull the tranny to see if you have the right flywheel. Chevy guys (looks at floor and shakes head)

I don't have those chevy numbers in my head anymore, had to delete thm to store Ford data. But once I did have a 283 block thad had no codes on the front pad. It came out of a pickup and the pickup casting number was the same as 58 Corvette. also a couple years ago sold a flywheel from a 60s 283 pickup to some Corvette guy for a healthy offer because it had the right numbers for one he was restoring. Like those concours judges are going to pull the tranny to see if you have the right flywheel. Chevy guys (looks at floor and shakes head)
But aren't we glad they are out there? :D

Now to find the guy that can't live without my 58 Vette dual four manifold.

Latest posts

Back