Original tags??

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratrodney

Hey all.
Thinking bout getting a set of original 71 tags for my caddy.
What's the goods n bads doing this?
Do you just buy a set and take em to the license bureau?
Tnx...RR

Oregon will allow it, as long as they are not officially being used on another vehicle. This can happen when you only have one plate. They do charge you for the privilege. :D

Every state is different and many aren't on board with the YOM yet. In my state, you check at the local dmv to see if the number is not in use first. Once that number is used, in any year, then it can't be used again.

Here's the deal on YOM tags in Ohio. They can be used, but only on a historical registration. This obviously limits your driving privileges in accordance with those guidelines. If you still want to do it, you must bring in the YOM tag with you to the BMV when you get your historical registration. They will inspect the plate, then attach that number to the reg. You will also still receive a regular Ohio historical tag, which you must the keep in the vehicle at all times.

Missouri will allow them as long as they have been out of circulation for a consecutive 3 years in a row.
Don't even have a sticker on them, ya don't have any historical tags to deal with and ya don't have to keep track of mileage anymore.

Here's the deal on YOM tags in Ohio. They can be used, but only on a historical registration. This obviously limits your driving privileges in accordance with those guidelines. If you still want to do it, you must bring in the YOM tag with you to the BMV when you get your historical registration. They will inspect the plate, then attach that number to the reg. You will also still receive a regular Ohio historical tag, which you must the keep in the vehicle at all times.

Yes, ours are the same restrictions as historical but the rules are pretty vague, like "special occasions" About the only way you would ever get popped is driving it to work and parking it on the street or someplace the cops see it every day. Last I knew, there had never been a citation written in Texas for mis using a YOM registration. I drive my 59 F250 as a daily driver with YOM

Yes, ours are the same restrictions as historical but the rules are pretty vague, like "special occasions" About the only way you would ever get popped is driving it to work and parking it on the street or someplace the cops see it every day. Last I knew, there had never been a citation written in Texas for mis using a YOM registration. I drive my 59 F250 as a daily driver with YOM

All it takes is a cop with an attitude. There has been at least one written in Ohio - Ask me how I know. ;)

In Illinois 1st you get Expanded-Use Antique License Plates. April to October o restrictions on driving. Nov. to March only to shows, taking it to a shop, or to storage.

With that plate, you can now have a YOM plate on you car, as long as you keep the Expanded-Use Antique License Plates in the car for inspection by LEOs. Only the Expanded-Use Antique License Plates are registered and in the system. Our YOM plates are not.

I keep a copy of the statue with my Antigue Plates just incase the Office might not be aware of the Law.

I figure he would have to prove I wasn't meeting with the car club, getting gas, going to wash it, going to the parts store to get parts, all reasons you can drive.... I've had them on the 29 for years, cops all wave.

You would figure that, but due process is quickly becoming a thing of the past. I've had historical registrations in Ohio for over 17 years - Still only takes one cop that got picked on too much in high school to write a ticket. Sure you can fight it - Take a day off work and still pay court costs even if you do manage to get out of it. Just more government extortion...

In Kentucky you must have historic plates, then you can run YOM plates. However, you have to keep the historic plates and registration in the vehicle. Like other states you are limited to parades, shows, tours or other such events. I figure whenever we are in are cars we are a one car car show.:) Vehicle has to be at least 25 years old.

Its a parade when it rolling.
Its a show when its parked.
:D
I am showing it to a potential buyer today. After work.
Taking it to Jifilubejob for an oil change.
I'm headed to the DMV to get regular plates, so "some people" will quit harassing me!

But seriously, it is rarely an issue in my area. I think there is too much traffic to notice. :D

I drive the heck out of my chevy and it has a 1950 truck plate on it. Never been an issue for me. Also they fit the look of our rides better. The new plates are to shiney

Latest posts

Back