Candy on bare metal?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gold03

He lives in an "Altered State"!
I like the look of bare metal.

Has anyone figured out clear on bare metal that will stick?

Can you color the clear slightly to give a little color like old candy apple red paint?

Before

attachment.php

After

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 7944.jpeg
    7944.jpeg
    87.2 KB · Views: 131
  • 7785.jpeg
    7785.jpeg
    52.3 KB · Views: 134
  • 7776.jpeg
    7776.jpeg
    54.3 KB · Views: 133
  • 7774.jpeg
    7774.jpeg
    59.7 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
That seems to work will. As it is an additive for oil based paint, one would think that adding some color to it would work just fine. Now add a flattener, and we would another option.

Yes, I have used a product called permalac. It is designed for bare metal. It also self levels and soaks I to the steel. I did my 50 chevy 6 or 7 years ago. It needs another helping of the stuff to freshen it up. I actually use it on everything now. I have done bare metal outdoor signs and some garden art stuff. Works really well. Comes in satin or matte. I actually just ordered another gallon yesterday

I've been playing with ways to protect the patina on my 46 GMC. While not purely bare metal, I think the same ideas could apply.

I actually was experimenting with different waxes on the advice of a friend with a patina truck, but unfortunately a lot of them leave a white residue on my truck. I had an idea last night to try the Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0 that I already have and it seems to work very well. Water beads up instantly even on bare metal or rough areas, it doesn't leave any white residue, and it even gives it a slight sheen and brings the natural colours of the patina out so they're more vivid. I'm sure happy, except most of the local stores don't carry it anymore of course.

Does dust stick to it? The only one I've seen in person treated with Boiled Linseed Oil dust stuck to it like crazy.

I don't know to be honest. Living in a sand pit here you only see the sand that sticks some. But it rinses off with a hose. The tires sling a strip of sand up on the back of the cab...

I don't know to be honest. Living in a sand pit here you only see the sand that sticks some. But it rinses off with a hose. The tires sling a strip of sand up on the back of the cab...

Gotcha. I was continuing to wax mine last night. It's incredible that you can wax old rusty patina on steel and when wet it beads water and acts like it has been waxed for years. I'm really happy with how's it's turning out and looking.

I read up and ended up going with a product I found highly recommended called Gibbs metal protectant.
Apparently Sharkhide and others contain some silicone and must be completely removed if you change your mind and paint someday. Gibbs has no silicone and some high end shops reportedly prime bare metal with it before painting.
So far I have only used it on spots that I have sanded bare and exposed metal that had surface rust. So far so good.

Latest posts

Back