Bonehead is back to work

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bonehead

I am sure a lot of us hobbyists are interested in how a project like this comes about. Does the customer give you a list of expectations? Do you need to get approval for the concept or for each detail? Is there a budget?

Personally I can't imagine commissioning something like this. And I have never gotten a commission that would allow me such creative freedom.

I guess I hoping you'd be willing to describe in general terms how it works?

Thanks.

Bonehead

I am sure a lot of us hobbyists are interested in how a project like this comes about. Does the customer give you a list of expectations? Do you need to get approval for the concept or for each detail? Is there a budget?

Personally I can't imagine commissioning something like this. And I have never gotten a commission that would allow me such creative freedom.

I guess I hoping you'd be willing to describe in general terms how it works?

Thanks.

I build stuff for a living. Not always hotrods, not always cars, but always art. The new owner of the "Wanted" truck, had seen some of the work I did in the early 80s, and was a fan. Then he saw the Bonehead Truck. He already knew he wanted a rat rod truck before we started talking. We talked a lot over the 3 years from concept to finish. This build worked out, because we were on the "Same Page". We started out with a number, and the build grew from there. Much like a custom home builder, there are additional items added to the build that we all know cost more to do. I added a lot to the build, for no additional money, mainly because I am a sucker. But I do it every time. In the end, I am happy, and the new owner is happy as well. I took a lot of input over the phone, and gave it my twist. This would have been harder, if both of us were not honest and reasonable. The additional items, like the change in tires and wheels, were ordered by the new owner, and shipped to me. That way I did not have the additional expenses. I was prepared to eat the cost of the additional machine work on the engine, but the new owner "tipped" me to help cover the additional costs. He did not know the roof was going to be removable. And there are a few other surprise additions, that I added in , but generally we talked about most everything big.

Bottle opener tailgate

So I am off to find some tin. Lucky for me I have quite a salvage yard behind the house.
P1011182.jpg
That looks my yard. I have a couple of Willys wagons in my yard. I noticed on the tailgate of your pickup a bottle opener. When i was cleaning up my 37 there was a similar opener screwed to the inside of the passenger door front post. I could just imagine a couple of guys drinking beer and shooting gophers about 80 years ago. Stubbies and gopher tails.:)

So I just found this thread and read through the entire thing. What an amazing project. Your creativity is very inspiring. Can you tell me what wheel base length you ended up with? Also did you ever weigh the car? I'm curious what it came in at once completed.

[cl very cool truck. [P Awaiting a new build thread, candy for these tired ole eyes. My vote is for the Willys pickemup... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm:)

Latest posts

Back