The Darksyde 1941 Ford PU

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darksyde

So new builder, picked up a 1941 Ford 1 ton. This truck I found out had its running gear changed out at some point, to a 1949 engine and rearend. Truck is now in my garage. Old flathead removed. Just working on removing the cab so I can get at the Frame. Have a 1995 F150 donor with a 351w, a c4(from different truck), and a 8.8 rear.

With the 1 ton axle I'm going to build some brackets to run a elliptical front end.

_27_zpsny3gsq4z.jpg

IMG_20151112_102555_11_zpszw9bvl8m.jpg

IMG_20151108_135822_zpsbqafyvck.jpg

IMG_20151108_135813_zps0zoic0e6.jpg

Very cool. Since I own one, I am partial to the 40-41 tonner front sheet metal. You may want to reconsider using the front axle, wheels choices for that truck are pretty much what's on it.
If you aren't going to use those running boards, I may know a guy that wants them.
Also I would be interested in that long arm rear view mirror. Where are you located?

Hey willowbilly, I haven't looked into the spindles to much yet, but why are the wheel choices so limited? Are the spindles different?
I was thinking of trying to retrofit some later model 5 bolt disks. But have yet to get them apart.

Did some measuring.

Axle has a round flange to the brake dust shield. Top to bottom bolts are 3.375" apart. Axle is 2.375" thick where the kingpin goes through. Bearing on bottom.

IMG_20151204_162923_zpsv3rmtp0l.jpg

IMG_20151204_162906_zpsj4f3fegn.jpg

I was talking about what will fit those hubs. I'm not sure if half ton stuff will fit those spindles or if half ton spindles fit the axle. The tonners are a bit obscure on some stuff, like trying to look up specific parts. You would have to measure the width of the axle end where the king pin goes through and also the kingpin size to see if they cross over.
You might want to get acquainted on Fordbarn and FTE forums. I have a freind on FTE who has several of the tonners and is pretty familiar. He goes by GBSisson on both forums.

Workin hard to get this thing stripped down. Body is almost ready to come off the frame. Got the front axle off and had a good look at the spindles. Kingpins are loose, so I'm thinking I may just get all new spindles disk bakes and such.
Disk kits from speedway have 4.5 and 4.75 bolt diameter and my donor is a 5.5, trying to see if I can somehow use the donor trucks disks somehow.
Was going to do the elliptical spring setup, but think I'm going to try airbags.
Airbagit.com has some good deals, and all the reviews I've seen say their stuff is pretty good.

Workin hard to get this thing stripped down. Body is almost ready to come off the frame. Got the front axle off and had a good look at the spindles. Kingpins are loose, so I'm thinking I may just get all new spindles disk bakes and such.
Disk kits from speedway have 4.5 and 4.75 bolt diameter and my donor is a 5.5, trying to see if I can somehow use the donor trucks disks somehow.
Was going to do the elliptical spring setup, but think I'm going to try airbags.
Airbagit.com has some good deals, and all the reviews I've seen say their stuff is pretty good.

I wouldn't suggest getting stuck on using the donor discs. Going with either the 4.75" (GM) or 4.5" (Ford) bolt patterns will give you common rotors, calipers, and pads that will be easily available. In addition, it will give you more choices in terms of wheels.

Really starting to see the issues with this axle/spindles that WB had eluded to. With the 2.375" axle boss, there are no aftermarket spindle I can find. Trying now to find out the actual spindle dimensions to see if I repair my kingpins I can still use my spindles for disks without going totally custom. ECI has a Disk brake kit for early Ford spindles that would be Ideal, but just need to confirm my axle diameters/dimensions are the same as the 1/2 tons. If anyone knows these dimensions so I could check against mine I would so appreciate it.

Well didn't think it would take as much time as it did, but I think I got the frame 75% done. Tried to build it completely from the original frame, but it didn't turn out as I hoped and a scrapped most of it and rebuilt 2/3 out of 2x4 rec tube. Still used the front 1/3 of the original rails. Still have some boxing, reinforcing, thinning of the front section but the main rails are done and straight.
Most of my parts are in,
- new kingpins
- air bag kit from airbagit
- Disk brake conversion kit from ECI
- intake and carb
- heads
- Front and rear 4 link kits
- 1935 grill

Next I need to get suspension built, which requires the partial disassembly of my 95 f150 donor to remove the rear diff.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 73

Latest posts

Back