Transprt trucks

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hansgoudzwaard

Attachments

• IMG_3559.jpg
    IMG_3559.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 98
Sure looks like it. I saw a military-ish Power Wagon 4-door while searching, but not sure if it was OEM or custom. Rare for sure...

That "extended cab" was a early built in sleeper. Actually not much more than a shelve to lay on with some storage underneath. Not many trucks had a sleeper back then as they were mostly used in somewhat local trips that could be completed in a days time. Not many coast to coast runs back then, if there were , they were shuttled between trucks at terminals spaced out every so many miles. Most of the trucks were narrow cabs, so you had to sleep curled up, no stretching out. Lots of guys who did travel overnight slept in or on the trailers, or carried an hammock and swung it under the trailer, no AC cooled trucks back then. Actual usable sleepers didn't start getting common until the mid to late 50's. Even then they weren't much more than 36" wide, if you had a 42" wide you had a big one.

My current truck has a 72" sleeper tall enough Shaq could stand up in comfortably, as well as lay down and stretch out.

Looks like a 1 1/2 ton Chevy Suburban modified with roll up sides, probably a military issue only truck. Chevy also made a civilian version with the roll up sides for truck farmers to sell their wares out of, but as far as I know, 3/4 ton was as large as they built them. You can tell the military version is heavy duty by the use of the big truck fenders and tires and wheels.

It's a "Canopy Express". GM offered them from the '20s 'til 1954. 1/2, 1 and 1 1/2 ton depending on the year...

attachment.php

Attachments

• 1942 truck 4211.jpg
    1942 truck 4211.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 44

Latest posts

Back