The Roofus Special

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today was a fun day. I finished up a little welding on the passenger side spring box and then started trying to mount the body side.

It was more difficult than last time. There is an axle there.

I started by mocking the body up on top of the axle and blocks of wood to see where stuff lined up.
HPIM0798.jpg

HPIM0801.jpg

I am glad that I thought to draw a reference line last time it was mocked up.

HPIM0800.jpg

First set of dimensions....end cut out was WAY different.

HPIM0802.jpg

The first cuts were barely a good starting point. I am glad I started slow and snuck up on the shape. The axle moves rearward as it compresses.....really moves rearward! That parking brake cable was kind of a pain too.

Lots of jacking and drawing, then triming and re-instalation.

HPIM0803.jpg

HPIM0805.jpg

Final shape. I think.

HPIM0808.jpg

I know the tail sticks way out there and will drag everything, but I can not make myself cut the heck out of it for clearance. I think I am just going to beef up the tail so it can handle being dragged. I may even add a caster back there.

Here is the current idea. Slight sweep with a radius at the bottom.

HPIM0823.jpg

Right now the whole back end is an almost clean sheet to work with

HPIM0815.jpg

Playing with cop car roll bars and a harbor freight pipe bender

HPIM0818.jpg

HPIM0820.jpg

Last edited:
I trimmed the tube. kinda hard to do just by eyeballing it. Still needs a little fine tuning....but I think it will work.
HPIM0824.jpg

HPIM0825.jpg

HPIM0828.jpg

Close enough that I made another one for the other side.

The new rear frame rails will be on the same level as the current 1x1. I just haven't cut out the old stuff yet.

HPIM0831.jpg

HPIM0832.jpg

HPIM0837.jpg

HPIM0838.jpg

I am using more cop car roll bar parts to complete the rear frame rails. Using a couple of bends, I will be able to clear the shock mounts and tie into the 1.5 x 1.5 that runs below the upper link mounts. The joint will be mitered.

This will also gime me a "crumple zone" for the rear frame rails. Heaven forbid I take a hit or spin out in it, the 90 degree bends should fold.

HPIM0835.jpg

HPIM0834.jpg

What do you guys think about adding a rumble seat in the boat-tail? Gas tank would be mounted behind the rear end. Riders feet will straddle driveshaft.

rumbleseat.jpg

I did more work on the rear of the body. It took a lot of fitting, but I finally go the tubes ready to weld.

HPIM0860.jpg

HPIM0859.jpg

HPIM0868.jpg

And trimmed the other quarter so that it will fit over the axle.

HPIM0870.jpg

Played around with sticking a 8 gallon fuel cell in the back (so I could do a 3rd seat). It fits pretty good. If I don't add the seat, I will still have one heck of a trunk back there. Not 100% sure 8 gallons will be enough though.

HPIM0882.jpg

HPIM0894.jpg

I also added some diagonals to the passenger compartment to help support the rear diagonals. This thing is slowly turning into a battleship.

HPIM0887.jpg

HPIM0893.jpg

I also got around to trimming the passenger side door opening.
HPIM0898.jpg

HPIM0897.jpg

....and played with adding a wheel under the tail.

HPIM0886.jpg

...and trimed the tail a little more. Not 100% there, but closer. I'm sneaking up on it.

HPIM0890.jpg

HPIM0891.jpg

HPIM0892.jpg

Latest posts

Back