The Roofus Special

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anybody have an elegant idea for strong motor mounts? I am struggling with how to mount this heavy pig of a motor. Oh yeah, the steering shaft needs to run right through where the drivers side mount needs to be.

More than likely they will be tied into the currently non-existant inner frame rail truss.

These pics show the general area. I am not 100% set on using the stock jag motor mount pieces. If there is a better way, I will fab something.

I am a little concerned that if I run mounts that extend way inwards toward the motor that it will try and twist the frame.

IMG_0131.jpg

IMG_0261.jpg

Last edited:
I am a little concerned that if I run mounts that extend way inwards toward the motor that it will try and twist the frame.

The distance from the crank to the frame rails will be the same no matter how you set up your mounts - so torque on the frame will be the same no matter where it is mounted to the motor. Maybe I am misunderstanding your concern?

The distance from the crank to the frame rails will be the same no matter how you set up your mounts - so torque on the frame will be the same no matter where it is mounted to the motor. Maybe I am misunderstanding your concern?

I was thinking about the weight of the motor pushing straight down on the centerline of the car. I have a fear that the drivers side frame rail will twist counter-clockwise and the passenger side frame rail will twist clockwise. ....and the motor will droop down.

I think a hurst type motor mount might help with getting the load point closer to the frame rail and not induce twist. Anybody else think that?

Can you run a crossmember (or k-member maybe) under the oil pan behind the sump to tie the rails together? ...then it won't be able to twist the rails.

Would it be possible to use a saddle mount at the back of the block and two side mounts in front? Could you post a picture showing the motor in place from standing over it looking down on it. May help us come up with an idea.[S

Also are you going to box the inside frame rails?

Larry aka Ratcrazy[P

I see what your saying. A Hurst style mount would work. In order for it to put twist on the rails, the mount would have to bend. Anything hooked to both rails would need to bend in order to twist the frame from weight. Engine torque is a whole 'nother matter...

In a regular side mount, the mount bushings act like a hinge allowing the frame to possibly twist. If you were to (obviously not a good idea) make a 'hard' side mount it wouldn't be able to twist either, but would be really uncomfortable until it tore itself a part.

That's the way I'm seeing it anyway.

Anyway to fab a mount from the front to that convex cross member? It would be the same idea as the Hurst mount.

I found this in my search. Something along the lines of this would be cool.

finishedsling.jpg

finishedsling2.jpg

Something as simple as this could alxo work.

attachment.php

The first example is pretty cool looking. But I can see the other hand of the second option, especially if you plan to run hood and sides. I'm curious to see how this build ends up.

Look into how the old y-block Ford trucks mounted. There was a Hurst style mount to the block, but it is mounted to the front crossmember by one bolt in the center with bushings.
images

This was a response on another forum. Do you guys agree with the logic?

Warren Nethercote said:
Flipper,

It looks like there might be room to run across-member under the engine below the motor mounts. The mounts could go to the cross member and the cross member would not put the same twisting loads on the frame rails as direct attachment of the motor mounts.

(Edit next day: Here is a sketch of what I mean: essentially link your fabricated mounts by a piece of RHS. This tube would reduce the torsional loads on the frame rails, and because the loads on the tube would be largely tension (bending too, but mostly tension I suspect) I think you could get away with 1 or 1 1/2 x whatever tubing. Thus, this cross member would not be as robust as the main suspension cross member)

file.php

If you can do it without it looking bulky, I think thats the best way you could do it!!! JMO

You're fears of sagging, or twisting would be completely eliminated!!

I would say his idea for matching the materials already used would be a great idea also.

I went to dad's house for the long weekend. It took me quite a while to clear out a path to get the 48 out and free up some work room. My dad is pretty darn productive for a 73 year old....he tore down the wooden deck that was on the back of his house and built this (brickwork, iron railings...all of it)!
IMG_0505.jpg

The new deck is impressive, but he left a heck of a mess in the shop (it is his shop after all).

I finally got around to my project. I am a little baffled about how to make the transmission tailshaft mount area beefy enough yet still have room for seats. I stuck the seats from the Dodge WWII ambulance in for mock-up. I think these are the same seats as went in the airplanes.
IMG_0486.jpg

IMG_0490-1.jpg

IMG_0487.jpg

Insert your favorite racecar noises here.

Actually, I was really trying to figure out steering column placement.

IMG_0492-1.jpg

IMG_0493-1.jpg

IMG_0497.jpg

It was not nearly as perfect for the 6' 6" 15 year old.
IMG_0498.jpg

I cut up another cop car roll bar for a dash support. Lots of stuff will be tied into this piece.

Here it is being mocked up.

straight up
IMG_0524.jpg

angled forward
IMG_0528.jpg

IMG_0530.jpg

I figured out that I really needed to know what I was going to use for a steering shaft before I could do the motor mounts. I went to pull-a-part and found a shaft from a toyota four runner for the front u-joint and collapsible section and a 70's GM big car for some double D material.

IMG_0536.jpg

The double D will go in the section next to the exhaust. Damn that is an ugly mock up!
IMG_0531.jpg

In this picture, the motor is 1.5" too high.
IMG_0539.jpg

The 2x4 got replaced by bailing wire once the dash support was welded in place
IMG_0537.jpg

I have plenty of room below the shaft for a motor mount.

IMG_0540-1.jpg

IMG_0539.jpg

The barn was filled with racecar noises
IMG_0544-1.jpg

I also dug out the cockpit mock-up pieces that I made a while back.
IMG_0546-1.jpg

Here is another crazy idea that might end up on the car... floor buffer grill and wind deflectors (it is cast aluminum).

IMG_0516.jpg

The center portion would be cut out for the grill shell.
IMG_0517.jpg

The round part would be cut into semi-circles and mounted on the cowl.
IMG_0518.jpg

...along the lines of this
5705927039_fd1735e71c_o.jpg

I may end up saving this for a single seater build, That way the wind deflector could wrap all the way around the cowl.

This is the new version of the "thinking chair"

IMG_0485.jpg

and the views

IMG_0520.jpg

IMG_0521.jpg

IMG_0522.jpg

It is a pretty nice spot to just chill.

Not only did the hammock cut into shop time, but I got a call from my boss that I had to go to Canada immediately. I got to take my car (and expense the mileage).....that means I have a little more money for parts.

Latest posts

Back