The Roofus Special

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is looking awesome Flipper. You guys really have a good eye for an artful style. May I offer a suggestion? I'm thinking the flow of the body would look sweet if you swept the bottom of the tail up a little. Starting from just behind the cockpit and maybe finishing with something like 4 to 6 inches up at the tail. Just a thought for you. :D

I had planned to sweep up the rear starting just behind the rear axle. You can see the marker on some of the early pics. I'll play with starting the sweep earlier and see what that looks like. Thanks for the input.

HPIM0585.jpg

Adding diagonals is a pain. They have to be curved so that match the horizontal pieces. Chassis should be plenty stout though.

HPIM0697.jpg

HPIM0701.jpg

HPIM0702.jpg

Door swoop goes down to the frame / truss thingy.
HPIM0706.jpg

Rear suspension is the next thing to figure out.

Has anybody here ever built a car from scratch with no real plans? ....given yourself true artistic liberty?

I have a "list" of ideas and a huge library of influences of what makes a cool vintage racer, but nothing is down on paper. I have also given myself permission to change it if it needs to be changed.

It went from this

HPIM0678.jpg

to this, in a matter of moments

HPIM0689.jpg

I think it works.

Right now the rear suspension/frame layout is a blank canvas from the seats back.

HPIM0709.jpg

HPIM0703.jpg

The rear of the car will be built around the suspension.

I have thought about a triangulated 4 link with the bottom bars on the outside of the body (attaching at the node just ahead of the quarter panel skin). The uppers would be inside the body.

I have also considered hairpins attaching at the same general location.

What would you build if you were not constrained by a traditional frame/floor layout?

Last edited:
Man that is cool! Someday after I have really tuned my skills I hope to be able to really build something from scratch. That is a great build you have coming along there. It is going to be great!

Man that is cool! Someday after I have really tuned my skills I hope to be able to really build something from scratch. That is a great build you have coming along there. It is going to be great!

Thanks for the compliments.

One of these days, I will build an english wheel so I can make my own body panels. Then I can really build a car from scratch.

This car is not really from scratch, for the most part, I am using existing shapes on found objects....just tweaking them.

It is a really fun build though. It does the mind some good to think WAY outside the box. I have learned a lot in the past month trying to figure this thing out.

A four link ain't what ya want if ya want to turn. Look up nascar and road race suspension designs. they are three link. I don't feel like typeing out the explanation as to why but it takes into account body roll,changes in track width,and changes in radius as a car goes around a corner. 4 link is for drag racing.

So, what are the opinions on building a car without a traditional style frame under it?

Too early in the build to pass judgement?

Is this thing just too far out there?

There will be lots more angles installed before the plating begins. Some of the plating will probably be bead rolled for even more strength (and style).

HPIM0703.jpg

Damn, I've exceeded my monthly bandwidth allowance for my free photobucket account.

That is the first time it has happened.

I guess I have to wait 12 more days to do an update.

I've been thinking about what I am going to do to it this weekend....

I think I made it too big. I may narrow and shorten the cowl. It looks really big in some of those pics.

I think I am also going to play with the size of the passenger compartment opening. I think the dash may need to come back...or move the seat up just a little.

Oh, and I think I am going three link on the rear suspension.

I decided to try and see how the stock jag rear suspension fit. It fits better than I thought it would. I didn't think the springs would have cleared the last set of verticle pieces.

Not really sure how the springs are supposed to be mounted. Dad pulled the rear suspension out of the jag. At the time, I had no plans to use anything except the axle. Anybody got any good ideas?

HPIM0719.jpg

HPIM0720.jpg

HPIM0727.jpg

HPIM0728.jpg

So, does anybody have any guesses as to how to hold a spring tight enough in the middle so that it acts like a quarter eliptic, but loose enough that the other quarter of the spring still works?

I bought an old frame that had that spring setup. The center point of the spring was on a pivot so it could rock a bit. This was a 1920's frame so I don't know if Jag used the same concept. I wanted to use the setup in my International but it was too big and heavy (from a fairly large truck, most likely), so I cut them down into regular quarter eliptics.
Your project is really interesting. It's great when someone uses lots of talent and vision instead of lots of money.

Latest posts

Back