The Roofus Special

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
27buickframe.jpg

Cool. thanks.

Finally figured out how the stock jag suspension worked....I think.

It pivoted on the lower half of the spring pin. The upper half was mounted in rubber such that the pin couldn't catch anything. as the spring cycled, the top portion of the spring pack could move front to back.

Here is my attempt to immitate the function.

HPIM0731.jpg

more almost free material was used for my spring boxes. ....cop car roll bars that dad bought at an auction. I used the 1/8" panel at the bottom.

HPIM0730.jpg

HPIM0733.jpg

I overlapped the tops so I'd have double thickness on top.

HPIM0734.jpg

The insert captures the spring pin. It is secured by four 3/8" bolts and really beefs up the spring box when it is all bolted tight.

Here's how the box fits into the overall car. The box I just made made will be behind the seat. The front bucket (upside down box) will be under the seat.

HPIM0738.jpg

HPIM0740.jpg

HPIM0741.jpg

Here is a view that shows the eurothane bushing inside the box. It sits over the spring pin.

HPIM0739.jpg

Still have a lot of figuring out to do. the nuts will be welded to the side of the box to make it easier to re-assemble in a finished car. Need to remeber to keep the bolts accesible when I build more of the rear bulkhead.

If you haven't guessed, these boxes are going to be tied into the frame/sides/floor and heavily supported.

These boxes to way longer to figure out than I would have ever figured.

this is one of the most interesting builds i've seen..(not knocking anybody else tho)
i love the creative concept of "re-inventing" things as you go..my mind doesn't function well in that area!!!:p:D

This is by far the most ambitious thing I have ever attempted due to the fact that I am not starting with a real car (even though I am using parts from real cars) and not really trying to copy an existing car. It is loosely based on cars that I have seen pictures of.

It is fun though.

It is a whole different kind of build than the 48 was. The 48 was built using the tech article on the HAMB about the S-10 frame swap as a starting place....and it was a real truck.

This build is almost like one of those craft artist that builds stuff out of "found objects". I started with the Caddy roof, everything else is being modified to work with that roof.

I'm just lucky to have picked a good parts car that has parts that look older/cooler than they really are.

Due to the automotive slowdown while chrysler re-organizes (I work for a supplier), my job has said we are going to a 4 day workweek. That means I have a months worth of 3 day weekends to work on my car. :)

I was thinking about this, and thought about the shackle. Seems like you will need someplace for the length to go when the springs moves. You probably have it covered, but thought I had better mention it.

I was thinking about this, and thought about the shackle. Seems like you will need someplace for the length to go when the springs moves. You probably have it covered, but thought I had better mention it.

The forward "box" will be long enough to allow the spring to completely flatten out. It will also be braced up pretty good to handle the loads that may be put on it when the car corners hard.

I had to re-invent the wheel a little on this one. I should have studied the stock jag, just in case I wanted to use the whole suspension.

Oh well :rolleyes: Live and learn. :)

I got my other spring box put together and started looking at how to anchor the top links and came to the conclusion that I needed more beef in my framework. I am adding some 1.5 x 1.5 front to back in a more conventional frame like position. I am also installing a 1.5 x 1.5 crossmember ahead of the forward spring support to provide additional support.

Here are the pics. This about where I thought I was going to get to last weekend.

I feel a lot more comfortable with the extra beef.

HPIM0762.jpg

HPIM0761.jpg

HPIM0768.jpg

Since I am not sure exactly what spring rate I have, I built some adjustability in for the top links.

HPIM0759.jpg

Last edited:
Next weekend, I will add a diagonal for the link mounts and mount the spring boxes (verticle wall at back, angled wall at front and tied to the frame sideways down low).

HPIM0770.jpg

Hopefully after that, the pace will pick back up.

I jumped in with both feet today. I started wleding the spring boxes in solid. First though, I tapered the front edge of the boxes down for a little more butt room.

Mounting these things is like putting a puzzle together. It is hard trying to figure out how to weld it all together such that you can actually get to where you need to weld. ...and then get the next piece welded in.

I got them welded in enough that I was able to put a jack under the rear axle and cycle the suspension. My spring boxes work as intended....as the rear goes up, the front of the spring pushes down.

I will try to remember to take pics tomorrow and post them.

Here are the pics of the boxes getting welded in.

HPIM0775.jpg

HPIM0776.jpg

The link mount needs support. I will also tie the boxes in to these.

HPIM0778.jpg

Stuff is too crowded to get to all seams. I cut the tube apart. Some of the welds are on the inside. After these welds are done, the tube gets put back together. Fun!

HPIM0779.jpg

Dug back into the unbelievebly lucky to have parts stash and found a gas tank.

1952 Mercedes gas tank looks like it will work for this car.

HPIM0782.jpg

HPIM0784.jpg

It should clear the links OK and has a little bit of clearance for the diff. Fuel inlet will work with a racecar style cap on the top of the boattail.
HPIM0783.jpg

With any luck, I will re-hang the rear quarters and decide on what the next build step.

Not sure exactly what to do next.

I think I need to start the rearmost frame section/trunk floor. I think I need to start the upwards taper of the boattail at the rear axle...similar to this car.

normal_4748-2.jpg

Latest posts

Back