1937 Chevy Coupe

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like to know what you boys are doing with the confinement cage in the corner :confused:
I think you're holding out on us [ddd
attachment.php

Batting cage[S

Lot of heat concentrated there. Have you considered fenderwell headers?

Fenderwells are not an option, eman. We need full length exhaust (or some variation) to be legal.

That said, I have fenderwells for my '38 project. I hope to get away with them and a pair of Supertrapps. (We'll see how that goes.) The "powers that be" seem to be working with us and I might get lucky, but for this project, it'll be 3" pipes and mufflers... BIG flippin' mufflers...

http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers/ult...a-flo-welded-round-centered-centered-577.html

Man, with that frame ya'll are putting together, it should ride like a continental!

Thank You, small. We still have some bars to add to the pudding and it should be stiff as a groom on his wedding night. [ddd

I would like to know what you boys are doing with the confinement cage in the corner :confused:
I think you're holding out on us [ddd

We're not holding out on you, fellas. Btard is (among other things) a golf fitter. He fits and builds custom golf clubs to exacting specifications. The netting you see serves to contain high-speed balls (that doesn't sound right) when the customer cranks off a batch. (That doesn't sound right, either.)

Quickly, back to the headers. We'll "dimple" the bloody things if necessary. They fit OK and we've both hammered some (expensive) tubes in our travels, no big deal...

On Engine Masters (on You Tube) they bashed the heck out of a set of headers and lost very little power on the dyno. A few dimples won't hurt.

Very nice build BTW.

On Engine Masters (on You Tube) they bashed the heck out of a set of headers and lost very little power on the dyno. A few dimples won't hurt.

Very nice build BTW.

Thanks, bob.

Funny you should mention the Engine Masters test. We've seen it and agree, a wallop (or six) can't hurt much. :D

We got a few more hours in yesterday.

B-tard procured the necessary metric fasteners for the trans mount, so we built this simple complicated (upside down) cross member... it's all of 16" wide...

attachment.php

We'll be cross-bolting this piece, as the yellow circles indicate. We'll drill those holes when we flip the frame. (When it's in place, the upper bars make it impossible to drill a straight hole from the topside.)

attachment.php

Along with the cross member, we fit and tacked two more bars...

attachment.php

We had to drop the last bar a couple inches for driveshaft clearance... after some discussion and head scratching, we decided to keep it simple and symmetrical, despite the offset pinion. We built this bar twice, because some retard (ME) doesn't know what half of 45° is. :eek:

Driveshaft lines drawn with a hunk o' crayon... this is fairly accurate and shows the angle/offset we have...

attachment.php

We quit there. It's been HOT and humid and we both had enough by this time. :(

Anyhow, that should be the end of our structure work, unless we find a reason to change something. (Can't imagine what that reason might be, but it''ll remain tacked and stitched until we're sure.)

Next, we'll get on the exhaust... as seen above, last time we had the motor/trans laid up, we cut the driver side collector off. (Tight is an understatement.) Pass me the ceramic paint, will ya? :D

Last, but certainly not least, B-tard has become a surgeon with a cut wheel. He cut every flat piece on the car and they fit perfectly... assuming this retard marks them properly. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_1298.jpg
    IMG_1298.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_1300 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_1300 - Copy.JPG
    200.3 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0405 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0405 - Copy.JPG
    201.2 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_1299.JPG
    IMG_1299.JPG
    200.7 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
We did some exhaust work today... hung the driver side muffler and piped it to the header. We decided to go without the flange (previously cut off for interference issues) and created a longer, somewhat twisted collector, again for clearance issues...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

... it might not look like much, but they were fussy pieces to fit!

Attachments

• IMG_0422.JPG
    IMG_0422.JPG
    158.9 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_0423.JPG
    IMG_0423.JPG
    187.1 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_1310.JPG
    IMG_1310.JPG
    187.4 KB · Views: 175
We did some exhaust work today... hung the driver side muffler and piped it to the header. We decided to go without the flange (previously cut off for interference issues) and created a longer, somewhat twisted collector, again for clearance issues...

... it might not look like much, but they were fussy pieces to fit!

I was just thinking that looked like a PITA to fit together. :D

Thank You for your comments, guys. :D

Yesterday, we hung and fit the passenger side... not miserably tight like the driver side, but still fussy to fit long radius/large diameter tube over a short distance...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

... so, we have 2/3 of an exhaust system. We'll have to place the rear shocks and set the body on to determine the exit strategy.

P.S. Those following with a sharp eye, will notice missing structure bars up front... they were removed to access the exhaust and they'll return before we're through.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0432 (2).jpg
    IMG_0432 (2).jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_1325.JPG
    IMG_1325.JPG
    196.4 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_1324.jpg
    IMG_1324.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_1324 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_1324 - Copy.JPG
    153.5 KB · Views: 126
You can tell us....you used to pack sardines huh???

I'm 1000 miles from the ocean and I've never packed sardines.... that said, when I retire, I'm going to stay here and call myself a professional barnacle scraper. :D

Nicely done [cl What are the exhaust hangers from? I'm tired of using the old strap and clamp style, those obviously work well in tight spaces.

We're using these, zz...

wlk-36518_ml.jpg

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/wlk-36518/overview/

... tight spaces, for sure. We bent the hanger rods in a "J" to cradle the components and staggered them left, right, left, so the conglomeration hangs "on center".

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1323 size.JPG
    IMG_1323 size.JPG
    180.9 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_0431 size.JPG
    IMG_0431 size.JPG
    168.2 KB · Views: 95
[QUOTE

We're using these, zz...

... tight spaces, for sure. We bent the hanger rods in a "J" to cradle the components and staggered them left, right, left, so the conglomeration hangs "on center".

.[/QUOTE]

Thanks doc, they will be my new go-to hanger. :)

Latest posts

Back