89 302 Pickup Carb/EFI

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redidbull

I have a 89 Ford Pickup with a stock 302. This truck is a work in progress. So far I have removed the smog stuff except O2 sensor and put on headers and dual exhaust. It idles a little high but the O2 sensor is not hooked up yet and could be the problem. I am considering going high rise manifold and carb. I know I need a different dist for this and a fuel regulator to turn down the flow from the electric fuel pump but anything else? Also is it worth doing? Should I change the cam. Thanks in advance. Jim

Make sure the gear on the distributor matches the cam, 89 should be a roller cam, so you will need a steel gear. A distributor for an 85 Mustang GT will work great if you want to run a factory style DuraSpark. I would go to a dual plane style intake if I were changing over. The FI pump puts out way to much pressure, so you will either have to lower it with a good regulator or go to a lower pressure pump.

Latest posts

Back