Who can answer a CDL question?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmlcolorado

Hypothetically speaking.
If one were to install a vintage truck cab with a gvrw rating of 16,000 lbs on a modern chassis which is rated for over 26,001 lbs, would the driver need a class B cdl?
Additionally, if that same vehicle is equipped with air brakes and air suspension, can that driver get just an air brake cert without a full cdl?

Hypothetically speaking.

Depends on how it's papered. If it's registered as a '55 Ford then I would drive the wheels off it and leave it at that. All other modifications are your business, not the government's. I would consider that information [redacted].

My $.02

Hypothetically speaking.

Depends on how it's papered. If it's registered as a '55 Ford then I would drive the wheels off it and leave it at that. All other modifications are your business, not the government's. I would consider that information [redacted].

My $.02

In calif. you have to have a B if the vehicle is registered at 26,001 or more. I'm thinking Colorado is the same [S

I couldn't find any thing here but if it helps here is the site.
https://portal-colorado.org/drivers...l?edw_id=390bf466-c836-4469-a77b-da8fdab8655c
good luck.[P

That’s my train of thought too. Truck is currently registered as a 16,000 gvrw 1955 f600.
My only concern is if I run across a motor head state patrol and he see these bags under the rear. And the fenders widened to fit over the tires. It would raise suspiciouns and might get someone into trouble. I mean, I guess as long as its loaded below 16k, it should t matter right?

Attachments

• 30186FDA-4EAF-48E5-9832-F0B6D3374D15.jpg
    30186FDA-4EAF-48E5-9832-F0B6D3374D15.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 15
The air brake issue here requires the driver to have a Class B minimum.
D.O.T does not give any breaks on these and will stack on the tickets till you think you're gonna puke.
I'd call your local Department and educate yourself, ignorance of the law is no excuse.

26,001 lbs is Federal law, CDL required for commercial use. Not sure on private use, each state may be different. I don’t know of any Federal requirements on air brakes on vehicles below 26000, look at all those motor coaches that are essentially transit buses with air brakes, any 70 year old fart can drive one without any special kind of license! But again there, the states may say different.

26,001 lbs is Federal law, CDL required for commercial use. Not sure on private use, each state may be different. I don’t know of any Federal requirements on air brakes on vehicles below 26000, look at all those motor coaches that are essentially transit buses with air brakes, any 70 year old fart can drive one without any special kind of license! But again there, the states may say different.

Also a new driver with just a permit before getting a licence.

Was just checking out my new license that I had to renew. Says right on mine here in Fl. Any non-commercial vehicle with a GVWR<26001lbs. or any RV. That's for a regular operator's license here.

26,001 lbs is Federal law, CDL required for commercial use. Not sure on private use, each state may be different.

Even at 16,000 to 24,000 the sleepin dog issue is, he is gonna use it in his business.
Here, the problem in play is, the insurance companies want to know if the vehicle will be used in your business and how often.
If you don't have some sort of commercial insurance and you end up in an accident then your tit's in a wringer. With the sue happy populous, you can end up losing everything you've worked hard for.
Be safe, knowledgeable and make an educated decision.
An LLC needs to be in place too.

So I do NOT plan on using the truck for business. Mostly because it will be modified and the waters are already muddy with that.
I tried lookin up Colorado’s requirements on air brake vs cdl and it’s not clear.
It appears there is no “air brake cert” that allows me to operate a vehicle with an air brake.
Only air brake restrictions, meaning is I took the test in a class b vehicle with no air brake, I could not opperate any vehicle with air brakes.

I guess a visit to the dmv is in order.

those air bags only tell an on-looker that it has air ride

it's the declared GVW that matters, if you have a title that says 16000 GVW, you are all set, just put a real toilet in it and a real stove and you can license it as an RV, no one will ever stop you. not even a weigh station.

those air bags only tell an on-looker that it has air ride

it's the declared GVW that matters, if you have a title that says 16000 GVW, you are all set, just put a real toilet in it and a real stove and you can license it as an RV, no one will ever stop you. not even a weigh station.

I think that’s the consensus,
So I’m blazing forward.

The chassis will end up under this truck. :)
I’ve started a build thread on it.

Attachments

• 3DE76195-F1D2-4738-A6F4-FC62389A91CD.jpg
    3DE76195-F1D2-4738-A6F4-FC62389A91CD.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 9
Our government is a terrorist organization. Hundred years we didn't need a permit to catch rain water. Today the police state busts children for a lemon aid stand. We are much too afraid of the "man" it has destroyed our creativeness.
Sorry about the rant,it's the anarchist in me. Have fun with the build and don't worry about the gubment...:)

So here’s a trick question.
So the truck papers say it’s rated for 16k lbs.
the chassis it’s on is rated for 33k lbs.
what were to happen if I were to load it up and it weighed in at 25,999 lbs.
I would assume I’d be ticketed for being overweight right?
Again, we’re talking personal use only.

Is there a way I can have the registration changed to reflect 26,000 lbs to remain under cdl? Are there dot certified truck inspection places that can do something like that?

Also note that the chassis is not being modified by any other means than drilling in the sides of the frame to relocate the suspension components. No welding, no drilling in frame flanges. For all intents and purposes, it’s a standard medium duty chassis modified for unfitting purposes with an old cab on it.

Latest posts

Back