Make metal shiny before welding it.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a great point. We also find that if we plug the mig straight into the wall vs using our 15 ft extension cord the welds turn out much better.

Don

that never occured to me but it makes sense my little air compresor wouldnt turn when i hooked a 50 foot extension cord to it. i think i will use my heavy duty homemade extension cord when im mig welding from now on thanks

i totally agree on the good clean ground i use a magnetic ground when im welding on my cab

I use a 10 gauge 20ft extension as much as possible. A long or small cord will cause voltage drop which is hard on power tools.

Sam,

Assuming you are plugged into a 220V 30A outlet, you could probably run a 100' extension cord and not see any change in performance. That extension cord is probably the same gauge wiring as run from your power panel and your extension cord is just acting as an extension.

Can I ask what type of welder (model and brand) you are using?

No, we have a very heavy duty, welder specific 15 foot extension and there is a noticable difference in power when we use it vs just plugging the welder into the wall. The welders are a Miller 210 and a 212. When we are doing some very thick steel we move back to where the wall plug is to get as much penetration as possible. I mean, it isn't to the point of being a weak weld with the extension, just a slightly noticable voltage drop.

Don

Don,

I need to clarify. I meant a longer heavy extension cord, like you are using now. Not just some homeowner type you would use on Xmas lights.

since we are on the subject of welding in general. also make sure your ground clamp is clean too and not buggerd up with slag and corrsion

Sam,

Assuming you are plugged into a 220V 30A outlet, you could probably run a 100' extension cord and not see any change in performance. That extension cord is probably the same gauge wiring as run from your power panel and your extension cord is just acting as an extension.

Can I ask what type of welder (model and brand) you are using?

That's what I have for 110v - mostly for my contractor saw, but worked well with my 135 welder too. For 220v30A, (only for my welder), I have a 20' length of 10/3 UF.

That's what I have for 110v - mostly for my contractor saw, but worked well with my 135 welder too. For 220v30A, (only for my welder), I have a 20' length of 10/3 UF.

That's plenty . You will only get about 1-2% of voltage drop per 100' of cable you use. I use 8/3 wg only because I had it laying around. I made a 30 extention cord out of it.

Do the plugs cause voltage drop? I could see that being a bigger problem with 110v - those plugs always seem to go in fairly loose, but 220v usually stays tighter.

It's the length of wire that causes it. Too much resistance. It's like losing some water pressure over a very long run of pipe.

mill scale

This sounds like the guys at work, " dam all I get is under cut" turn up the heat down with the wire speed every weld is not the 4th of July fire work show.[cl

Latest posts

Back