Early Econoline Steering in my Rat

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skip

My other project is an open wheeled 38 Ford PU. Using an old aftermarked T-bucket frame and adding a kick-up in the back. Anyway, I landed a 63 Econoline front axle and steering set up. Moving the steering column to behind the axle is not too challenging. I will just need to build a bracket to mount it so the turns the wheels the right direction. The real question is getting the drag link and steering arm in a better location. The steering arm bolts through the bottom of the spindle and curves around to the top. Reversing it does not look like an option, but I am not sure on that. Nothing obvious at Speedway. Has anyone played with this set-up? Any suggestions? The other issue that comes to mind is the pitman arm. Is there a stock one out there that will sit in the right position without messing with it? I know severl from the era look like they will fit.

Thanks!

I use Econoline

I always used Econoline or G10 chevy van front axles.Traditional axles are almost impossible to find here on coast.So, we use what we have.
We have used 2 methods to deal with the steering arm issue.
I have heated and bent the steering arm to clear.Have also cut it off and bolted one I made out of 3/8 plate to top spindle bolts.
If you make one to bolt on be sure to bend ears down to fit holes.
Do not weld them on.
I used cardboard to make templete and cut and bent it with standard torch.A little grinding and it looks great.
My current woodie project will have a 65 Econoline axle and will need to cross steer,so I will have to go back to drawing board to find what is best that way.
Hope this helps.
And Remember "Safety First":)

A bit belated thank you, Rex. Much appreciated. It looks like cutting it off and making a new one is the workable option. I have seen some done this way since I started looking a bit.

Latest posts

Back