R.s.c. Build off car!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowbudget50

Creators of all things awesome
So some of you may have seen my post in the car show section about the rat **** crazy build off competition. $4000 build budget. Needs to be done by 2021 and in red lodge montana in July for there car show with at least 1000 miles on the car. The cars will be judged and the winner will take home the entry fee pot

We are buildimg a 28 model a gasser. It was a car my grandpa had for ever. We already have aot of parts and the build is getting start now. We wont it done by next summer to work the bugs out of it!!!

Already have engine, 4 speed,9", front beam with disc brakes, tires and wheels , frame and body

Attachments

• 20160226_142020_zpsdiuei4ld.jpg
    20160226_142020_zpsdiuei4ld.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 77
  • 20160226_142010_zps2qz8bkw8.jpg
    20160226_142010_zps2qz8bkw8.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 61
  • 0611192214_HDR.jpg
    0611192214_HDR.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG952019052395153901427_2.jpg
    IMG952019052395153901427_2.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG951763~2.jpg
    IMG951763~2.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 45
Good foundation you've got there. What's up your sleeve to make it special? That's what I'll be watching for. :D

Good foundation you've got there. What's up your sleeve to make it special? That's what I'll be watching for. :D
Thanks sir. As for making it special it's just going to be clean and simple. We're not chopping the top or not doing anything to the body. My dad will make sure of that. We will most likely clean it up and clear coat it with that permalac that I use. I did ask about doing that they told me that was okay. The bodies have to be untouched like I said so no paint or anything and I was not sure if that clear coat was going to work or not. But I was told I could oh, I think the fact that is red is going to make it stand out enough. The frame on the other hand we are allowed to paint or do whatever. So I'm assuming that it is going to get some sort of heavy metal flake color on it;)

Nice start LB. That Model A looks awesome. [cl

Thank you it's really solid oh, it has been inside since the mid-70s for sure. I'm sure it's at inside over at the farm before that

Grandpa is smiling down on you...[cl

I'm sure he is. He was the man that put the V8 in his Roadster and went out for a test lab and couldn't stop it drove it to the side of the barn. And probably removed it and put the horse on their back in it

[P [P [P [P [P
Torchie

You eat a lot of popcorn sir LOL glad we can all keep you on a healthy diet around here

Glad to see someone else on here going for it. I have met the guys putting it on a few times before and they really are a good group. Can’t wait to see what you guys come up with.

Yes that group of guys is a good group of people. I've always thought it would be cool to do something like this, but I've never had the motivation to take it on. I commend them for doing this it's a lot of work

So how does the budget account for things like this inherited body and parts you've had hanging around for years? I'm just curious, since what you already have could easily take some guys $4K to acquire, so is that accounted for at all?

I'm very excited to see what you build for a Model A gasser [cl Those rear tires need to be larger though [ddd

So how does the budget account for things like this inherited body and parts you've had hanging around for years? I'm just curious, since what you already have could easily take some guys $4K to acquire, so is that accounted for at all?

I'm very excited to see what you build for a Model A gasser [cl Those rear tires need to be larger though [ddd

That is alittle bit of a grey area. I dont think you could built a safe and reliable car with out some donations/ inheritance. That body would have blown 90% of our budget. I am putting a value of $500 that we paid for the axles onto our build since they were originally bought for this car. The motor I am pulling out of my car to use for it I will put a quote-unquote Craigslist value on it. What it would cost to buy one of similar nature on the internet. I will not be putting it value on this body since it was an inheritance piece to me.

As for the rear tires yes they will be bigger

Score

Attachments

• 0612191233_HDR.jpg
    0612191233_HDR.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 0612191233a_HDR.jpg
    0612191233a_HDR.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 0612191233b_HDR.jpg
    0612191233b_HDR.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 0612191233c_HDR.jpg
    0612191233c_HDR.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 32
That is alittle bit of a grey area. I dont think you could built a safe and reliable car with out some donations/ inheritance. That body would have blown 90% of our budget. I am putting a value of $500 that we paid for the axles onto our build since they were originally bought for this car. The motor I am pulling out of my car to use for it I will put a quote-unquote Craigslist value on it. What it would cost to buy one of similar nature on the internet. I will not be putting it value on this body since it was an inheritance piece to me.

As for the rear tires yes they will be bigger

Gotcha. That seems fair. Yeah, a nice safe car for $4K won't be done without some donations or getting lucky on deals. I got lucky on a bunch of stuff when I built my 46, otherwise it could have been a lot more pricey.

That body looks really solid! Gotta love a nice Model A Coupe!

Gotcha. That seems fair. Yeah, a nice safe car for $4K won't be done without some donations or getting lucky on deals. I got lucky on a bunch of stuff when I built my 46, otherwise it could have been a lot more pricey.

That body looks really solid! Gotta love a nice Model A Coupe!
Yeah I agree with you 100% on donations are needed to build a safe reliable car for that price. And I'm not knocking anyone's projects but I have seen a lot of crap that I would not write in let alone want on the road. That model T I'm working on right now is one of them and that car was inspected by our state's. And given a title and permission to drive on the road. Absolutely insane to me. The car is really taller I think there's two little spots of rust on it around the back wheel arches. My dad wanted to strip the primer off the trunk to try and reveal the red color under it, but I can tell you right now that my grandpa strip that truck down to bare metal before applying a generous layer of Bonneville around the the trunk handle and then primary games. And since we are not allowed to add paint to it in any way shape or form we will be leaving it. My dad made the comment the other day that unless it looks good and he really likes it after the challenge he will be paying it metallic Orange. I want to throw up in my mouth

Yeah I agree with you 100% on donations are needed to build a safe reliable car for that price. And I'm not knocking anyone's projects but I have seen a lot of crap that I would not write in let alone want on the road. That model T I'm working on right now is one of them and that car was inspected by our state's. And given a title and permission to drive on the road. Absolutely insane to me. The car is really taller I think there's two little spots of rust on it around the back wheel arches. My dad wanted to strip the primer off the trunk to try and reveal the red color under it, but I can tell you right now that my grandpa strip that truck down to bare metal before applying a generous layer of Bonneville around the the trunk handle and then primary games. And since we are not allowed to add paint to it in any way shape or form we will be leaving it. My dad made the comment the other day that unless it looks good and he really likes it after the challenge he will be paying it metallic Orange. I want to throw up in my mouth

When I went to Rat City Rukkus in Vegas, there was a lot of stuff there that I wouldn't drive across the street.

I don't think it looks bad with the grey on the trunk, it adds some interest to it. Are you able to scrub it with CLR and a scotch brite or wetsand it before you clear it? I'm not convinced it would look good in metallic orange but it's not my car. It's cool that it had 41-48 Chevy taillights installed already.

When I went to Rat City Rukkus in Vegas, there was a lot of stuff there that I wouldn't drive across the street.

I don't think it looks bad with the grey on the trunk, it adds some interest to it. Are you able to scrub it with CLR and a scotch brite or wetsand it before you clear it? I'm not convinced it would look good in metallic orange but it's not my car. It's cool that it had 41-48 Chevy taillights installed already.

Yes I will be wet sanding it before clear coat goes on fkr sure. The orange will not happen, I will make sure of that hahaha.
I like the tail lights also

Frame is in two pieces I will start templating tonight

Attachments

• 0612191809_HDR.jpg
    0612191809_HDR.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 27
Frame work has begun!!!!

Attachments

• 0612192141_HDR.jpg
    0612192141_HDR.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 0612192141a_HDR.jpg