My new Mustang.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donsrods

Everyone in my family, including my ex wife, has a Mustang, so I felt left out. :eek: I have been looking for a clean body to put the 351 Windsor I have sitting in the shop into, and finally found this one the other night.

[I[/I]

It is a 2000 V6 with a 5 speed, and that is coming out really soon. I am on the fence about putting another 5 speed in it or a C4, but I am going to use it as my daily driver when done, so a 5 speed might be more fun.

The nice thing is, my Sons have a bunch of Mustang cast offs from their cars that I can steal.....er, borrow, and get this one on the road pretty quick.

It is going to sit until I get the rpu done, because I am so close on that one.

Funny thing is, it has stainless headers and a Hurst shifter on it, so I don't think the little old lady I bought it from was the original owner. :D

Don

Hehe, I will keep the Caddy, but this will be my fun driver. Every time I walk past my two Son's Mach I and GT, it really made me want one. Plus, I had nothing to put the 351 in that I have had machined and that I have most of the parts for.

I needed another project like another hole in my head, but that little guy on my left shoulder got the best of me. :eek:

Don

Don't blame ya Don... nothing more fun than hittin' the streets in a powerful pony car!!! Looks great! [ddd[ddd[ddd

BoB

Nice score. Could the little old ladies grandson have been playing with it?

I think so. There were a couple of stickers in the back window (that I scraped off immediately). One read "Caution: May go sideways without warning !" and the other read " Let me guess: Drivers license and registration." :D

Don

Looks like a nice clean car Don!

Will you be keeping it fuel injected, or going with a carburetor?

I would stick with the manual myself. If it's a fun driver and already set up that way, why not!

Oh, and that's too new [ddd ;)

It's going to be carbureted. I have an Edelbrock intake and 600 cfm Edelbrock carb for it already. I may have to put a 3 inch fiberglass hood on it to clear the air cleaner though, but that is ok.

The 351 I have is a roller cam motor, so I will probably go with the same X303 Ford Racing cam I am running in the 27. Nice lumpy cam and it pulls hard through the entire rpm range. I am going to put some aluminum heads on it and roller rockers.

I agree that the 5 speed would be the best, and the pedals are already in there for it. The car came with a Hurst shifter, so I will try to use that with the new transmission, if possible.

Don

So that I wouldn't be tempted to work on the Mustang until the rpu is done, last night I pulled off the Cobra rims, put old roller tires on it, and covered it up with a car cover. I figure it should take me at least a few more months to do the rpu, then I can begin on this one.

One good thing about these Mustangs, EVERY little part is available at a bunch of places, so I should have no trouble getting it done. Information is a little vague on getting the 351 in there, but we can figure that one out.

Thanks for all the nice words and help, guys.

Don

Tonight I was looking on Craigslist and found a 2004 Mustang GT for sale. It was wrecked, but the drivetrain and other parts I need to convert mine were fine. I went out and bought it. It will be so much easier than converting the 351 to fit in mine, everything will bolt right in. It's also a 5 speed car, like my 2000, and I bet there are some deeper gears in the rear.

It has a lot of aftermarket parts on it, like a polished throttle body, frame connectors, underdrive pulleys, a stainless steel Magnaflow exhaust system, Shelby wheels and a Saleen wing, lowering springs, and stuff like that. It also has a really nice leather interior, so I can swap mine out. We ran the motor and it runs great, sounds great, and the AC blows cold. Only has about 89,000 miles on it.

We are picking it up tomorrow night.

Don

Last edited:
Looks like it would be easy to fix. Fender , hood, bumper + assorted brackets and it would be ready to go. Is it a 5.0 or 4.6?

Tonight I was looking on Craigslist and found a 2004 Mustang GT for sale.

We are picking it up tomorrow night.

That is exactly why I stay off CL & daBay on Fri nite after having a few... haha!!! [ddd[ddd[ddd

BoB

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice ....

Just don't get real excited about Mustangs..or Fords in general...but if it's going to make your life easier....that's a good thing... :D

Looks like it would be easy to fix. Fender , hood, bumper + assorted brackets and it would be ready to go. Is it a 5.0 or 4.6?

It's hit pretty good, a body shop quoted the guy $ 5600 to fix it, so it was totaled by the insurance company. None of the stuff I need was touched though, so I can use all of the good stuff.

Bob, I know what you mean about a few cold beers and Craigslist or Ebay ! :eek: I had just one beer before I found that one last night, but it did make the decision to buy a little easier. :eek:

Here is why it was totaled: (the front subframe is bent). Were taking the dolly out tonight to pick it up.

Dan and I borrowed Don's tow dolly tonight and got it home. That driver's side front tire is driven right back until it touches the fender. We were able to drive it onto the dolly, but it took some doing. In looking at the very round indent on the front fender, I am pretty sure the guy hit a telephone pole. It is about the right size and shape.

We got a chance to climb under and over it and there are some good high performance parts on it like upper and lower control arms on the rear and Eibach lowering springs all around. So far it looks like about $2000 in aftermarket parts that we can see.

I really know very little about these newer Mustangs with computers and fuel injection, but since it will be my daily driver some day, all that should make it more dependable and fun to drive.

Don

I'm glad you found a fuel injected donor for your car. The combination of the parts on the two cars is going to make you one awesome driver!

I'm not a fan of Fuel Injection in hot rods, but for some reason I prefer fuel injected modern cars to stay fuel injected [S

It's hit pretty good, a body shop quoted the guy $ 5600 to fix it, so it was totaled by the insurance company.....
Here is why it was totaled: (the front subframe is bent). Were taking the dolly out tonight to pick it up.

Yeah, when the subframe gets bent like that they usually total one now days. A friend of mine has one that his Dad spun out on ice in Atlanta a few years back, he only had liability so he parked it. My Bud got it from his Dad, had a frame shop straighten the sub rails that bent when he hit the guard rail, and he's been driving it for a year or two now.

Latest posts

Back