BMW V8 powered T

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The few that came by were supportive, some liked seeing something different. Others were being nice about it even if they didn't approve or get it.

I never worry about what other people think of my builds. Your ride will be smoking hot when finished and most people don't have the imagination for see the finished product! [cl

iSore

I never worry about what other people think of my builds. Your ride will be smoking hot when finished and most people don't have the imagination for see the finished product! [cl

iSore

Thank you, I feel the same way. Afterall, I am making it for me and no one else

One of the issues to work around is the exhaust manifolds pointing straight at the steering arm:

While the body pieces are away for paint I figure I can keep moving forward with other sub-projects in the name of moving forward. I got this idea of finding other production engines that share similar engine dimensions, bore spacing and exhaust port spacing as this mid 90's BMW V8 and found that the new generation mustang 5.0 was pretty close. Hoped online, found a set of inexpensive long tube headers for the 5.0 mustang and gave them a test fit.

Of course the headers will be flipped upside down for my custom project.

The passenger side header fits beautifully, it'll clear the body and has some really nice curves & lines and sits level. The drivers side header, not so much. It sits wonky, has some awkward bends, won't clear the corner of the body and the tubes line right in the way of the steering arm.

I've got a few more options & engines to experiment around with to see if I can find a set that will land the pipes where I need them. The next set will be the previous gen mustang with a 4.6L, the header that will be on my drivers side appears to have more promising bends. I'm happy to mix & match sets as long as doesn't look too awkward. Since we would only see one header at a time from the side of the car a slight design differencs between them won't be an eyesore.

To be honest, I'm kind of excited to get some run time and heat in them pipes to give them the discoloration look.

Latest posts

Back