Jeep Engine Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Skip, I agree the Anglia wheels are pretty cool.. Got to change the rear wheels too. Need narrower, shorter slicks and some period correct narrower wheels. Probably an 8" by 28" slick and an 8" wheel. Maybe Cragers or a five slot.

Winter is in the air so I juggled cars around for the cold weather building season. The roadster PU and dragster are berthed in the back garage and I brought the roadster body forward. Plan is to finish the welding and bracing on it and probably get it mounted on the '29 Dodge frame laying in the trees. The Crosley body is ready to come off the frame (tomorrow) and the 406 small block out of the Crosley will find its way into the Bantam. Trouble is its 13 to 1 compression and will probably require race gas on the street.

Attachments

• pot 003.jpg
    pot 003.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 23
  • pot 002.jpg
    pot 002.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 22
  • pot 001.jpg
    pot 001.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 22
Winter is in the air so I juggled cars around for the cold weather building season. The roadster PU and dragster are berthed in the back garage and I brought the roadster body forward. Plan is to finish the welding and bracing on it and probably get it mounted on the '29 Dodge frame laying in the trees. The Crosley body is ready to come off the frame (tomorrow) and the 406 small block out of the Crosley will find its way into the Bantam. Trouble is its 13 to 1 compression and will probably require race gas on the street.

Man you have a lot of irons in the fire. I have a hard time keepin up with the crap involved with one build at a time. Carry on with your bad self.

It happened again. This thread is supposed to be about building a Jeep 6 engine. Now, it's about completely redoing the Crosley to make it lighter, better designed, prettier and accept the Jeep engine. It needs a major clean up too. I managed to separate the body from the frame today.

Attachments

• off 001.jpg
    off 001.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 24
  • off 002.jpg
    off 002.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 21
  • off 003.jpg
    off 003.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 23
  • off 004.jpg
    off 004.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 22
  • off 005.jpg
    off 005.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 25
Did you find the handling problem? Bushing?

After I got the body off I devoted the rest of the day to mowing and leaf removal. So no, I haven't checked it out yet. I doubt it's a bushing in the rear because they all were replaced with 3/4" rod ends. I'll cut all the unnecessary bracket off the frame, then run a centerline string and start measuring.

The chassis will get new paint. With the yellow body I'm thinking tan, brown or medium blue.

Last edited:
All the parts that can be removed, have been removed. Many of the brackets that are not needed any longer have been cut off with an angle grinder and cut off wheel. Still have to grind those areas smooth and cut more off. Will have to buy the Jeep engine to GM 350th adapter to put the bare block, head and transmission in the frame. I'll need to do that to know where to position the Anglia front axle. Here's a couple pics and one of Sam and Lily doing what they do best; synchronized sleeping.

Attachments

• g 001.jpg
    g 001.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 37
  • g 003.jpg
    g 003.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 36
  • g 002.jpg
    g 002.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 39
A Saturday spent cutting unneeded brackets off and grinding the welds off. Still a lot of grinding to do. I assembled the front axle assembly and placed it approximately where it will go. It's about 6" forward of the original axle but this would give plenty of clearance for the Jeep straight six.

Attachments

• axle 001.jpg
    axle 001.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 28
  • axle 002.jpg
    axle 002.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 28
Before I can do much more I need the engine to trans adapter. Got to place them in the chassis in order to locate the new front axle, set crankshaft centerline and build motor mounts. Today I ordered the adapter kit from Advance Adapters. Should be here in a week.

To stay busy I began porting the intake manifold. I tapped the holes for the injector nozzles and put pipe plugs in. Then I started grinding the inside of the port to remove the obstruction. It will be finished off with JB Weld. Need to get a new aluminum cutting die grinder burr so it won't take all day.

Attachments

• manifold 004.jpg
    manifold 004.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 24
  • manifold 002.jpg
    manifold 002.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 27
  • manifold 003.jpg
    manifold 003.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 26
A shot of nitromethane would work as well. :p

I have a turbocharger in the garage attic...

A friend stopped over and gave me this motometer with brass wings. He Also bought the 468 Big Block out of the Bantam. That's all part of the master plan. It gives me some working money and a place to install the 406 Small Block I removed from the Crosley.

I selected Rustoleum Ford tractor Blue paint for the chassis of the Crosley. Cleaned up the rear end and put the first coat on it with a 1" foam brush. Painted some of the roll cage just to see what it looks like. It should go okay with the yellow body.

Attachments

• Blue 001.jpg
    Blue 001.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 26
  • Blue 004.jpg
    Blue 004.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 26
  • Blue 002.jpg
    Blue 002.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 28
  • Blue 003.jpg
    Blue 003.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 28
can't tell from the pics of the ports, if you spray a little penetrating oil in there the aluminium won't stick to the carbide.

are you sure you don't want the big block in the Crosley, and shoot for some 10.10 et's?

Latest posts

Back