Jeep Engine Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bit by Bit

Made some minor revisions to the front floor/trans tunnel. I'm using the same brackets but making a new shifter mount out of 1/8" aluminum plate. The same panel will hold the switches, fuse panel and maybe the gauges. I want to keep all the wiring short and accessible with nothing mounted to the body.
I had to rotate the fuel cell mount 90 degrees because the fuel line will run up the driver's side instead of the other side. The existing braided line will reach now and I won't have to make up a new line. A little fab work saves some money.

Attachments

• panel 001.jpg
    panel 001.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 32
  • panel 002.jpg
    panel 002.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 31
  • panel 003.jpg
    panel 003.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 28
  • panel 004.jpg
    panel 004.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 31
That's one thing that will really save some time during the life of the vehicle and save some of your pain too. Having an accessible fuse box is a great idea. The young guys will understand in a few years. Getting on in years will tell you about it every time you have to try to scoot into a position to look up under the dash in a small space.

Not Like Glenn's

Wired the panel that the Cheetah shifter mounts on. Once this his part of the floor is in place I just have to run all the outboard wires to the terminal strip.
The panel has switches for the ignition, fuel pump and fan. It has a starter button with a neutral safety switch actuated by the shifter and the trans brake button. All simple stuff and not much of it. Made a rudimentary gauge panel that will be mounted to the dash bar portion of the roll cage by way of welding the two steel tabs that are bolted to it.

Attachments

• wires 001.jpg
    wires 001.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 34
  • wires 003.jpg
    wires 003.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 29
Thanks everyone. I keep the pictures small so it looks better than it really is. I put the farwall pieces back in for the final time. Cleaned up and primed the rest of the floorboards and did some other small tasks. Lucky for you guys my camera's battery ran out of emf.

Attachments

• carb 004.jpg
    carb 004.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 30
Picked up these parts from Jerry the Sandblaster and primed them when I got home.
Anglia front drums and wheels.

Attachments

• primer 005.jpg
    primer 005.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 17
Paint and Port

Almost all the interior sheet metal is painted and ready to be installed. Painted the frame from the firewall forward today.The Anglia front axle and associated parts will go to Jerry the Sandblaster this week, then be painted and reinstalled.
Looking at porting the head. It could use some unshrouding of the valves that the outer edges of the combustion chamber but as you can see, the gasket won't allow it. The intake ports are almost true to the gasket so very little to do there. The exhaust ports are in need of gasket matching. A little bowl work especially around the guides and I'll call it good.
I ordered a reground cam from Oregon Cams in Washington. Got one in the dragster and it works good.

Attachments

• fromt paint 001.jpg
    fromt paint 001.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 21
  • fromt paint 002.jpg
    fromt paint 002.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 23
Porting for Dummies

I've been advised that too little is better than too much when it comes to porting.
The bowls were nice so I just removed the ridge where the seat cutter stopped and also cut a little off the valve guide bosses. Still have a bit of finishing to do on them.
The intake ports matched the gasket perfectly so I didn't touch them The exhaust ports were brought out to 1 1/2" and rounded at their exits.
I just knocked the grain of the casting down a bit in the combustion chamber (only one done) and partially removed the shelf around the valve seats.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 25
Whew!

After about 15 hours of grinding I don't know if it is finished or if I'm just tired of working on it. The head and valves go back to the machine shop. Back cut on the valves and a competition valve job.

I hope I made it better. We'll see this spring at the strip.

Attachments

• mo port 003.jpg
    mo port 003.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 22
  • mo port 001.jpg
    mo port 001.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 18

Latest posts

Back