'56 Ford Club Sedan Mild Custom

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never regret having tools with me. And a few things that can go wrong that are small I carry too like a short length of copper tubing that I can fix a fuel line with. Extra fuel line clamps, radiator hose clamps and an extra length of radiator hose. A spare fuel filter too. Got a box of things like bolts and nuts in several sizes...guess I'm still a boyscout...:D

Thanks for the reminder on clamps! I have a spare fuel filter and a few nuts and bolts in a coffee can. :)

Instead of trying to fortify my B pillars to mount three point belts, I took the retractable harnesses I had and turned them into retractable lap belts. Belts aren't required in vehicles pre-1968 in Colorado, but I wanted at least something. I may fab up a roll hoop to go behind the seats and mound three-point belts to it at some point, but for now at least I have restraints.

From this...
attachment.php

To this...
attachment.php

To this...
attachment.php

and this...
attachment.php

They look gray in these pics, but they're actually black.

Attachments

• 20180914_181417[1].jpg
    20180914_181417[1].jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 80
  • 20180914_175752[1].jpg
    20180914_175752[1].jpg
    129 KB · Views: 80
  • 20180914_175829[1].jpg
    20180914_175829[1].jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 20180914_175809[1].jpg
    20180914_175809[1].jpg
    90 KB · Views: 82
It's simple, and it works. I made mounting brackets out of 2x3x 1/4" angle, mounted them to the floor with grade 8 1/2" bolts, with 3/16" thick 2" diameter washers underneath.

It's simple, and it works. I made mounting brackets out of 2x3x 1/4" angle, mounted them to the floor with grade 8 1/2" bolts, with 3/16" thick 2" diameter washers underneath.
You'll likely break you pelvis before those belt anchors come lose. :D

I've been down with a painful muscle tear next to my spine, and have been helping my wife with her remodeling projects as I feel like it. We got to a point yesterday afternoon where we had wet paint on everything and I could work on the car a little in preparation for going to La Veta, CO tomorrow for their Oktoberfest celebration and car show. I cleaned up some wiring, and worked on a mounting system for a GoPro dashcam. Today, while my wife was canning tomatoes, I installed the passenger side retractable lap belt and went for a drive to see how things felt. The fuel problem still seems to be in remission. :D But as I tried to roll up the window in the driver's door, I realized there was a problem. It wouldn't go up more than a few inches, and was really hard to make move. I tore the door apart, finding that the window had come out of its track. I took everything down to parade rest, re-did some stuff that I had time for, then put it back together. The window will just stay where it is, rolled all the way up, until I decide to take the door off and seriously rebuild the window assembly and all its assorted components. I'll post some pics tomorrow from the show, and maybe some video of driving through the mountains if things work okay.

We had a blast! The drive over the pass was foggy, but things cleared up before we got to La Veta. I nearly bought a couple deer as they ran out in front of me on a twisty back road, but other than that, everything went along just fine. The show had maybe seventy-five cars, and the variety of vehicles was quite wide. I won a trophy not listed in any of the literature, for being the judges' favorite "daily driver". I posted some pics of the cars I liked in the photos forum, so I'll just add one here of the Ford parked on the main drag.

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCF3155[1].jpg
    DSCF3155[1].jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 48

Latest posts

Back