Diesel Montclair

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

05snopro440

I spotted this 67 Montclair online with a 12 Valve installed. It's a couple hours away. He's asking $10K CAD.

I don't understand the fanatacism over Cummins swaps but thought some here might find it interesting.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190314-210626.jpg
    Screenshot_20190314-210626.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 81
  • Screenshot_20190314-210629_20190314211120573.jpg
    Screenshot_20190314-210629_20190314211120573.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 79
  • Screenshot_20190314-210638.jpg
    Screenshot_20190314-210638.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 80
  • Screenshot_20190314-210644.jpg
    Screenshot_20190314-210644.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 78
  • Screenshot_20190314-210657.jpg
    Screenshot_20190314-210657.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 81
All I can say is WHY [S

Why not?!?!?!?!

If that engine is tuned properly it will get 20 plus mpg and have more reliable power than the original one that came in it. I agree that the "rollin coal" hype is stupid

My first gen cummins I drive daily makes over 400 hp and 1000 ft lbs off torque. It gets 18 mpg empty and 14 pulling 16000 lbs over the mountain passes around here.

To each his own I gues lol

The guy that I got the Dodge Coronet from was building a 49 Dodge business coupe into a gasser.
He was using a Cummins Diesels and said that It would put over 600hp when done.
I know nothing about diesels. I guess for some there is a "Cool" factor.
As far as the "rolling coal" things goes.......
Torchie

The guy that I got the Dodge Coronet from was building a 49 Dodge business coupe into a gasser.
He was using a Cummins Diesels and said that It would put over 600hp when done.
I know nothing about diesels. I guess for some there is a "Cool" factor.
As far as the "rolling coal" things goes.......
Torchie

The only reason my truck doesn't make more horsepower and torque is because it's the old set up on the injection pump. My same turbo setup on a couple years newer truck makes almost 800 horsepower and about 1800 foot pounds of torque. They might be heavy but they make up for it. I'd love to put one and something that made some serious horsepower. Nothing is a cooler feeling than when them turbos kick in about 80 lb of boost!

We used to say... if you have an ugly date... put two bags over her head... in case one blows off. (They like to stick their head out the window, according to legend.) I'd put a bag over my head if I had to drive the Montclair three hundred feet... just sayin'...

He was using a Cummins Diesel

Speaking to the coupe guy, that's the dumbest thing I've heard lately. A gasser runs on... you guessed it... GAS.

I own a stinkin', rattlin' diesel and I love it, but it'll stay where it belongs... in my TRUCK.

Last edited:
We used to say... if you have an ugly date... put two bags over her head... in case one blows off. (They like to stick their head out the window, according to legend.) I'd put a bag over my head if I had to drive the Montclair three hundred feet... just sayin'...

Speaking to the coupe guy, that's the dumbest thing I've heard lately. A gasser runs on... you guessed it... GAS.

I own a stinkin', rattlin' diesel and I love it, but it'll stay where it belongs... in my TRUCK.

Couldn't agree more.

Why not?!?!?!?!

If that engine is tuned properly it will get 20 plus mpg and have more reliable power than the original one that came in it. I agree that the "rollin coal" hype is stupid

My first gen cummins I drive daily makes over 400 hp and 1000 ft lbs off torque. It gets 18 mpg empty and 14 pulling 16000 lbs over the mountain passes around here.

To each his own I gues lol

I like the 12V Cummins but just like any engine I feel there's a place and purpose for them. To me it's not in a car that you won't be towing 16,000 lbs with and could get the fuel mileage and drivability with many choices of power train that are more compact, lighter, cheaper, simpler to work on, and don't smell like a diesel and fill other drivers with contempt because of the coal. That's just my opinion though and I know what that's worth :p

For sake of discussion, would you put a 12 Valve in your Fairlane? Just curious, to me it's similar.

There may be a simple answer. Tired 4 door Montclair out back. Munched good running diesel truck up front. Shop with fridge full of cold beer. :cool:

Nope, not feeling it. :rolleyes: I've got to agree with the good DR, diesel is fine in a truck, but not a truck diesel in a car. I did own a VW Rabbit diesel one time, we bought it new, got around 40 mpg, and only smoked when you really got on it. But it was a small 4 cyl, not a huge truck 6 cyl with gobs of power. I get my diesel thrills driving my 500 hp, 13 speed truck grossed out at 80,000 lbs. I have no other need for one, not in a pickup or a car.

The two door Montclaire was a good looking car, the four door, ehhh, well just another family sedan.

I like the 12V Cummins but just like any engine I feel there's a place and purpose for them. To me it's not in a car that you won't be towing 16,000 lbs with and could get the fuel mileage and drivability with many choices of power train that are more compact, lighter, cheaper, simpler to work on, and don't smell like a diesel and fill other drivers with contempt because of the coal. That's just my opinion though and I know what that's worth :p

For sake of discussion, would you put a 12 Valve in your Fairlane? Just curious, to me it's similar.

I get your point they're not for everybody I do agree that they can be expensive to work on. But if it's a 12 valve like mine they are super simple to work on so that aspect would be nice. As to your question about putting one of my Fairlane probably not I would more likely put a powerstroke in it although I'm not a huge fan of the Powerstroke 6.0 for the 6.4 the 7.3 was a good motor. I think it would fit a little bit better in my car and they came in Fords so it's less wrong in my opinion.

Diesels were real popular in Europe for a long time. Mercedes was probably the best known, but others had them, too. Now, increased emission requirements and higher fuel costs have about killed them off.

There was a guy close to here that had an older Mercedes diesel that he ran off of cooking oil. Back then, restaurants would give away their old used oil, so he pretty much got free fuel, just had to strain it. I saw him a few times, his exhaust smelled like french fries cooking!

Haven't seen him in years, don't know what ever happened to him.

Latest posts

Back