1918 oil pull

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowbudget50

Creators of all things awesome
This is a tractor that has been in our family for years. It was used for years before being put in a barn to be forgotten about for years.

We brought it home 13 years ago. It has been a long slow process. It was frozen solid and the rods are like 2 ft long and I could slide both legs in the empty cylinder!!

It was missing the mag and we cant find the exact one. So the only way we can start it is to get it spinning with a belt and another tractor. I wish I would have documented this stuff better. We will be moving it to my dads new place and getting it started again soon. I will make sure the cameras are rolling.!!

First pic from left to right. This is from the day we brought it home
My step brother, Randal
Me
My dad
My great uncle Larry

Next 2 are as it sits now

Attachments

• KIMG0988.jpg
    KIMG0988.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 0419201139.jpg
    0419201139.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 0419201142.jpg
    0419201142.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 39
That’s a big old hunk of iron!

MercuryMac seems to be our resident old tractor expert, he might even have a mag for it. Or know what could be made to fit.....[P

That’s a big old hunk of iron!

MercuryMac seems to be our resident old tractor expert, he might even have a mag for it. Or know what could be made to fit.....[P

We built a gear reduction piece to make this mag work. Its still not 100% right. Any info would help!

A friend of mine built a smaller Oil Pull last year. He may have some spare parts. I'll phone him. That's Sean in the first picture holding the flywheel.
I couldn't resist slipping a picture of me in there in the same field. [last pic].

Attachments

• IMG_1048.jpg
    IMG_1048.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1059.jpg
    IMG_1059.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1068.jpg
    IMG_1068.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 48
I'm sorry, but the outside rear view mirrors on that panel truck have to go. :D [ddd At first I thought it was an AD, but I see it is older than that.

Cool tractor, too. [cl

I'm sorry, but the outside rear view mirrors on that panel truck have to go. :D [ddd At first I thought it was an AD, but I see it is older than that.

Cool tractor, too. [cl

No thats an ad panel. The mirrors match the rest of the hideous work that was done to that poor thing;)

A friend of mine built a smaller Oil Pull last year. He may have some spare parts. I'll phone him. That's Sean in the first picture holding the flywheel.
I couldn't resist slipping a picture of me in there in the same field. [last pic].

Very cool!!!!!

Thanks, any help is appreciated

Hey mac, see if he can get me a pic of the mag and any numbers on it. Thanks!!!

Mr. Fab, I talked to Sean today and learned a couple of things. He said that he doesn't have the right mag on there either, he has a four cylinder one on it and grounds two of the contacts out. You have to have the impulse working in order to crank a tractor. With a crank, and especially ratchet wrench like a Rumley has you will turn the magneto over too slowly to make spark. With the impulse working you just wind up a little spring in the front of the mag and when the tension gets too much some little dogs let go and the spring turns the mag fast enough to make a spark, a little late but good enough.
Sean says you're to phone Gary Biewer in Minnesota at 218-493-4696. He is the Rumley magneto guy.
Good Luck.

Thanks, my dads uncle just spent 1500 to have a mag rebuilt and its not the right one. My dad has a 4 cyl mag and we planned on running it with 2 grounded out. The mag we have has no problem sparking when we roll the tractor over by foot. We have to stand on the flywheel to get it to spin hahahahaha.

Thanks for the help!!!!

thats a big girl! the old steel wheel ones are the best in my opinion, cant get a flat with steel!

attachment.php

this picture just needs a pirate hat and an upraised arm with a cutlass!

thats a big girl! the old steel wheel ones are the best in my opinion, cant get a flat with steel!

attachment.php

this picture just needs a pirate hat and an upraised arm with a cutlass!

Hahahahaha, she is a big girl!!

Latest posts

Back