What Did Ya Get Done This Weekend?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made motor & tranny mounts! [;)

BoB

Attachments

• cutouts.JPG
    cutouts.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 23
  • mounts.JPG
    mounts.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 25
I finally got the motor for the rod. 276 hemi from a 52 Desoto. It was mostly apart and many of the parts were in a pile mixed in with some small block Chevy and Buick parts. I got the stuff home, got the block on the engine stand and started sorting and cleaning. I have piles that are not hemi, definitely hemi, and maybe hemi.
I got the head bolts cleaned up and a bunch of the small parts id'd, bagged, and tagged. I spent most of yesterday getting the rocker assemblies freed up and scraping 60+ year old crud from the block. I need to soak the pistons to get them unstuck, but I think they can be salvaged. I made a list of some of the parts that I know are missing so my buddy that I got it from knows what to look for.
I spent a bunch of time last night trying to get my hands clean again. They still look terrible, but nothing is going to come off.

I failed to take pix while I was at it but I made a "pole wrench". A piece of 6" I beam, 8' long, rigged to cinch to a 23' pole that we already had set upright in the ground with 160 lbs. of concrete hardened around the base. Basically a big pipe wrench. A small length of chain looped around the I beam and rigged with heavy all thread thru a hole to take up chain slack, then pinned the chain to the pole with 20 penny spikes. We dug one side down to the bottom of the hole, broke the concrete, positioned the loader to hold the pole steady, and I went to pick up the chain I had hooked to the other end of the I beam and hook it to the tractor but when I tugged a little, the pole started twisting in the hole like I wanted so I did it by hand. We had one of the 9 poles we set the other day that had a bad kink to it. The twist wound up being about eye level and the pole from there up looked way off. I suggested twisting it around and the visual disappeared. The square and plumb will operate off our upper frame work from here on in anyway.
After the pole repair, I moved my donor motor home back to my place to stage it closer to the 46.
attachment.php

And proceeded to remove the Onan. It will be used to build the barn and house over at Jr.s.
attachment.php

Built a cart and will be ready to use it shortly.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCN0456.jpg
    DSCN0456.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 111
  • DSCN0455.jpg
    DSCN0455.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 110
  • DSCN0457.jpg
    DSCN0457.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 110
  • DSCN0458.jpg
    DSCN0458.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 112
  • DSCN0459.jpg
    DSCN0459.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 111
I recovered from my trip to Vegas over the weekend. I secured my bragging rights for playing in the APA World Championships. We got as far as the money wall, but not over it. A good time was had. I saw some amazing pool players. Nine days in Vegas is a long time.

Now its time to get back to work on the 39.

I run into that before, ended up on my daughters ranger from adjusting the shoes to get a better emergency brake to turning the drums . putting on new shoes and then replacing the cylinders too . got done after about 1/2 a day ... took me about 2 hrs just to put the stinking shoes on . i never had problems putting shoes on . but that day every thing that could go wrong did . I got to the point i almost slung the shoes across the shop

Got more scaffold and some horizontal wood going on my bud's barn. Being on the other side of the gulf from Texas, we're getting pelted pretty good with daily rains too and it's slowing us down, but nothing like Texas has it. We've also been attending memorials for friends. Two this last week. I guess I need to get used to it. Seems like it's happening more frequently...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCN0464.jpg
    DSCN0464.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCN0465.jpg
    DSCN0465.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 54
  • DSCN0466.jpg
    DSCN0466.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 57
Have the bullet just about ready to slam back in the truck. Got shifter done, tranny cooling lines made etc. Slam it back in, wire it back up & crank it up. I'll be SO glad to be finished & move on to my project in waiting!!! [;)

BoB

bed head board

scored some bent up diamond plate that looked like it would work

Attachments

• head board.jpg
    head board.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 30
  • head board 2.jpg
    head board 2.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 25
  • head board 3.jpg
    head board 3.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 24
Have the bullet just about ready to slam back in the truck. Got shifter done, tranny cooling lines made etc. Slam it back in, wire it back up & crank it up. I'll be SO glad to be finished & move on to my project in waiting!!! [;)

BoB

Making good progress, Bob. Then you can shift your attention to the fun project.

Making good progress, Bob. Then you can shift your attention to the fun project.

Tell me about it! It's the project that never ends but I'm gettin' close!!! Just about have it wired up again too!

BoB

Attachments

• IMG_7948.JPG
    IMG_7948.JPG
    144.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_7957.JPG
    IMG_7957.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 40
New motor/tranny/rear in the truck, wired up & motor running... now just need to bleed the brakes & put the front clip back on! That took 2 mths... what a pain! Will be glad to see it go to a new home & start for real on my new project! :D

BoB

This whole summer I've been going to fix my '55 Mercury truck, but have been stalling. Well, now the faulty brake lights are working again. The brake lights had come on last winter sometime, out in the shed, and killed the battery. Simple fix right, wrong, not the way I went about it.
Anyhow I made a new bracket, mounted a new brake light switch and wired it in and presto, it worked.

Attachments

• IMG_1088.jpg
    IMG_1088.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 21

Latest posts

Back