700r4 4x4 into a 2 wheel drive????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John T. Hodgen

Hey Gearheads,
I need a quick and firm answer to this ??? I have a '92 Chevy extcab truck, 2wheel drive that I need to replace the 700r4. I have a great deal on a recently rebuilt 700r4 out of a 4x4. ??I've heard two storyies on this...1) take off the 4x4 unit and swap my tailhousing onto it, will work with no problem. 2) after taking off 4x4 my driveshaft will fit right up??
What's the real deal as I need my trk for a trip to Indiana on the 11 of July. Any help or more knowledge will be greatly appreciated in this swap. Doing it won't be much of a problem for me but before spending the cash on something I can't use I need to know what the deal is. Oh, the trans both fit a 305 so the bolt pattern to the motor will/should be the same. And both out of trks.
Thanks to all for any info.....John T.:)

Hey Guys,
22 views and no info yet? I really need some input on this question, I'm counting on you for what if it will work or how. Before the tranny gets sold out from under me. Please help time is running out. Thanks, John T.

It's more complicated than it seems....

This swap would work, however you need more than "just" your tailshaft housing. I believe the output shaft would have to be changed out, as well. Means you're probably going a little deeper into a reasonably fresh tranny than you'd like to.

You'd probably be better off finding a good working unit out of a 2WD truck, then it's pretty much just swap out. Don't forget the correct count speedo gear or vehicle speed sensor wheel according to your final drive ratio!

Wish I could give you an easy answer, like "yeah, that'll work in a couple hours." Rather be upfront, though.;)

Regards,
Shea:)

Hey Shea,
thanks for the imput. It does raise more questions[S I can get a 2 wheel one for cheap out of the junkyard but you never know what your getting. I may have to go that way anyway. Thanks--John T.

you have to pull everything out of the trans, swap output shafts, add gears or reluctor wheel for speedo, put everything back in. add new tail housing. It can all be done in under an hour at a trans shop + parts cost. they may or may not guarentee the build if they don't go through the entire trans.

Shea is right. Your tailshaft HOUSING might bolt on, but there won't be a tailshaft in it. The 4WD trans has an output shaft for the transfer case, not a driveshaft, and is about six inches too short.

Simply put, they're completely different. Find a 2WD trans.

John T, don't get an early 80s 700r4 with the 28 spline input shaft, they are very weak and will cause you grief.[ddd The mid 80s, up to the computer controlled ones, are the best for our hotrods.:)

Hey Guys,
Thanks for the info and yes it's too complicated for me to get into. Thanks for your help in this matter. I just got my Jeep Cherokee back on the road and will let the trk stew some:D Later John T.

A 4x4 trans will have to be gutted and the correct parts installed for the output shaft. Another thing to keep in mind is on a corvette trans you will run into the same thing because the total length is shorter and you would need a longer driveshaft. Also not much of a problem but some of the tail shaft housings are different which you could just change the tail shaft housing, no big deal on this one. Example would be for a pickup the tail shaft housing from a camaro is different since it uses a torque arm coming from the rear. No big deal here since just the housing can be changed.
Also try to make sure you use an 85 or newer trans since they are 30 spline and earlier are 27 spline. Some of the later cable type are designated 4L60 NOT 4L60E which need a computer. The later you get the better they are since they will have most of the updates. These trans did have alot of updates. If you need more info about the 700r4/4L60 http://bowtieoverdrives.com/index.shtml has alot of good info and also http://www.700r4l60e.com/ does too.

Last edited:
no you don't

i have an 86 700r4 4x4,i wanted to run in my willys hotrod.so since the output shaft is shorter all i did was use an 8 inch slipyoke,with the turbo 350 short tail housing.true i don't have a speedo gear now,but not a problem i run by my tach

Latest posts

Back