Need help finding pitman arm.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mykk

Hey guys, I need some help identifying the correct pitman arm.

I'm using a mid 70's F250 manual steering gear (reversed) for the cowl steering in my project:

Of course, a pitman arm for a mid 70's (or any year) F250 (or any other ford model) doesn't fit this box, most of the pitman arms are too big of a hole/spline.

The output shaft is 1.11" on the big end of the taper and 1.050" on the small outboard end of the tapper. It has three masters on the steering gear side of the spline. I'm not to concerned about the masters as I'm sure I'll need to grind them to clock the pitman where I need it anyways.

Parts listings say this gearbox is a 28 spline. The closest I can find by size is a 32 spline, 4 master with a 1.020" hole pitman for a GM 525/605 box. I can not find in parts store or online a pitman arm by size listing catalog. This afternoon I took the box into my local napa and pulled every pitman arm they had in stock on the shelf and not a single one fit.

Does anyone have any insight on what pitman arm to get for this box? Here I thought using a mid 70's ford steering gear would be easy to find parts :p

More pics of the steering gear coming out the side of the body:

Thank you for an advice and input

sorry no help, but cool looking ride. a lot of folks don't like cowl steering because of bump steer. hope you find the parts you need.

A) I love your hot rod, and B) I do not think you will find an off the rack steering arm to do what you want it to do.

What I would do is, find a stock steering arm for that box that fits it, cut it up, weld the spined section to a round adapter plate, and then, once you bolt that on you can make up a second adapter plate to bolt to the first one, and extend that outboard to put an arm that you fabricate on the end.

Hope that is clear. It is rare to find stock arms that do all you need them to do, sometimes you have to improvise and make your own.

Near as I can figure, the manual box uses a different pitman arm than the power box and the manual pitman isn't available new. I found a listing on Ebay that might be it, seller say's he's will to answer questions.

ebay pitman arm

No it isn't me selling it.

Check Early Mustang they had two sizes the one is 32 spline with a 1 1/8 hole. There are a lot of aftermarket applications for the mustang box pitman arm. Count the spline on your box

Latest posts

Back