A Hupmobile ???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not much to show. And I hate to show this when Dutch is exhibiting world class skills in metal shaping. Anyhow, I did manage to get one door skinned. Still some adjusting and welding to do.. I guess I had some clamps too tight and created some minor dents.

I'm spending most of my time as a Leaf Removal Engineer.

Bob...really... :rolleyes: not much world class happening here man....
just struggeling on like everybody else. Take 1 usually ends up in the experience bin here. ...and dont even start about having clamps too tight... :p
keep em coming! [P[cl

Both doors are almost done. Looks like I shoulda put a bead on matching the cowl. Except, I don't have a bead roller. How about a bead that's attached like side trim? The top hinges are loose from the A pillar. Gonna leave them that way until there's a subframe built and everything is stabilized.

Attachments

• new side view 001.jpg
    new side view 001.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 45
  • new side view 002.jpg
    new side view 002.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 44
  • new side view 003.jpg
    new side view 003.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 39
Both doors are almost done. Looks like I shoulda put a bead on matching the cowl. Except, I don't have a bead roller. How about a bead that's attached like side trim? The top hinges are loose from the A pillar. Gonna leave them that way until there's a subframe built and everything is stabilized.

You dont need a bead roller to do that. just grab a couple pieces of strip / bar what ever meets the size you need, tack or clamp them to the panel and clamp the panel to the work bench, and drive the metal down with a nylon punch or blunt chisle. works fine, just takes a bit more time.

You dont need a bead roller to do that. just grab a couple pieces of strip / bar what ever meets the size you need, tack or clamp them to the panel and clamp the panel to the work bench, and drive the metal down with a nylon punch or blunt chisle. works fine, just takes a bit more time.

Dutch beat me to it. (No pun intended). That's how I have put beads in replacement floors before. Or.....
Remove the bead from the cowl.:eek: [ddd
It's a mullet mobile. Who would know.:p
[P [P [P
Torchie

Roors & cowl look great on the new build.[cl[cl

Are we having a hard time finishing one project before we start another? ;)

You have to many idea's spinning around in that head. [;)[;)[;)

It's what you enjoy doing & keeps you happy! Build,Build,Build. :D:D:D

I did do beads in some floorboards by hand one time. Worked pretty good. I have already welded and crimped the door skins to the frames so I took that option away.

Tom, the roadster pickup and the Bantam are very close to being finished. It's a long winter and neither car will be used for over 6 months. So I thought I'd spend part of the winter seeing if I could make something out of the left over body parts that were laying around.

I got interested in the Jeep engine because 3 of the HAMB-style dragsters in Tulsa run them. They are capable of running 10's. And, I wanted to build a vintage slingshot dragster ever since I built the HAMB dragster. It's gonna look like this:

Attachments

• 70391707_1422477227909931_4724183701674524672_n[1].jpg
    70391707_1422477227909931_4724183701674524672_n[1].jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 39
Old28, You said Bob enjoyed building, building, building, but you forgot to mention that a bunch of us onlookers also enjoy Bob's building. I'm one of them.
Keep up the good work, young fella.

Cool dragster idea, Bob. When does that project start? ;)
I'm in parts collecting mode, Skip. I have the Jeep block and will be getting the4.2 crankshaft in a couple weeks. Have an Anglia axle, spindles and spindle mount wheels. Also a steering box.

I'm considering parting out the Crosley for the race prepped 350 turbo trans, and the 9" rear end, which is too wide but will be okay for a while. Lots of smaller components will work too.

Just have to buy some pipe and weld 'er up.

On the Mulletmobile I did some subtracting and adding of metal on the quarter panels. They needed to contoured a bit to match the back door edge. and to provide a "nesting place" for the doors when closed.

Attachments

• door edge 001.jpg
    door edge 001.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 36
  • door edge 002.jpg
    door edge 002.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Just when I think you're gonna throw in the towel, you start two more! [cl

How about a bead that's attached like side trim?

How about a real piece of trim? With your resources, I'd think you could find a ratty chunk of something with a similar profile as the cowl bead...

s-l300.jpg

attachment.php

Attachments

• bobw door.jpg
    bobw door.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 102
Just when I think you're gonna throw in the towel, you start two more! [cl

How about a real piece of trim? With your resources, I'd think you could find a ratty chunk of something with a similar profile as the cowl bead...

s-l300.jpg

attachment.php

I was thinking along the same lines. Maybe a piece of shaped flat bar. Then a bit of something on the back edge of the door to tie into the bead on the quarter panel.

That looks pretty cool not going all the way across the door. Yes, Skip I was thinking of flat bar and shaping it by hand.

Thanks Dr. C for the images.

Will start on the subframe tomorrow.

Well Bob as I see it your having way to much fun [cl[cl[cl

This project is taking shape fast, are you thinking of another one yet [S[S

As long as you don't run out of welding wire your good to go[;)[;)[;)

Yes, Tom the other project is the Jeep powered dragster that is clogging my mind.

Back to the Mulletmobile. Completed the "not pretty" subframe on the driver's side. Welded in home made patch panels on the other quarter panel and clamped it in place. Will make the subframe for the passenger side tomorrow. The pics make it look like it keeps getting wider as it goes back. It doesn't.

It's difficult making something square and true with parts that have been thrown around a junkyard for decades.

Attachments

• other side 002.jpg
    other side 002.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 53
  • other side 004.jpg
    other side 004.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 51
  • other side 003.jpg
    other side 003.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 51
  • other side 005.jpg
    other side 005.jpg