Covid induced Ferguson TE20

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Dutch, I remember your tractor.
I use my A/O outfit lots for the dangdest things. Yes, we need a torch or we can't go on.
Anyhow, I had a town day after two weeks, so there's little progress. The guages are in and the oil line is hooked up. The throttle linkage is hooked up and functional. But when I grabbed the exhaust pipe and muffler I got frustrated, because the bends were a few degrees out everywhere, so it wouldn't fit. I have a Princess Auto pipe bender that I should be shot for buying, but I had learned a few tricks so I should be able to bend some mandrel bends a little bit more, right. --- Wrong. This machine kinks exhaust tubing in three places even in a one or two degree bend, if you don't do some of my tricks. I forgot the tricks and had to learn them over. Too late smart.

A little more happened today. The exhaust is all on there and tightened up. All of the steering is mounted and functional.

Attachments

• IMG_2516.jpg
    IMG_2516.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 22
Thank you Dozer. You may think of me as a flaming optimist, because I'm hoping for a little time before that first snow.
There was quite a bit of taking things back off, today, so I could put something on that was hidden behind something else.
I finally got the battery in and clamped down, both cables installed, and the cable from the safety switch to the starter in place.
Some previous owner cut a chunk out of the fan shroud and that weakened it so it started cracking up. I welded it up and added a new piece so now I'm doing some body work.

Here's a picture of the new battery and cables mounted. The battery hold down rod and the ground strap could not be installed with the air cleaner in there. The aircleaner couldn't be removed without taking off the air intake pipe to the carb. The air intake pipe and can't be taken off without taking off the carb, ---- or swearing a lot and prying freshly painted things around.
The second picture is the fan shroud in its second coat of high build primer.

Attachments

• IMG_2517.jpg
    IMG_2517.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2518.jpg
    IMG_2518.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 15
I've cleaned the inside of the gas tank out, dried it aggressively, poured 'Bill Hirsch' sealant in, sloshed around, let that dry for a long time, and then painted the outside.
This tank looked good on the outside and between the baffles on the inside, so I thought it was worth fixing. It may not have been. I may have learned a valuable lesson. [Don't be cheap].

Attachments

• IMG_2544.jpg
    IMG_2544.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 11
Today I think I finished up mounting the gas tank and plumbing from the sediment bowl to the carb. The hood is now on there but the hinge bolts are not co-operating. I have to make a shoulder on one of them and the other one just won't start in its captured nut.
Also the pictures in my camera card are stuck in there and the computer can't get them out. [S:eek:

I did you one better, OI, I made my computer step back and take a deep breath, so that would be ohm ohm. This morning when I started it up again, it worked alright so here are the pictures. We had the sandblaster and his wife over last night for supper and he checked out his paint and my handiwork and was impressed. He had done about 2/3s of the tractor.
Also this morning, Mrs. Mac went to the post office and got my package from Coventry, England, which contained my new voltage regulator, PTO cap, and PTO sleeve.

Attachments

• IMG_2548.jpg
    IMG_2548.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2549.jpg
    IMG_2549.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2550.jpg
    IMG_2550.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Wiring is going------slowly, two steps forward and one back. I'm using cloth covered wire to look era correct. The schematic diagram that I have doesn't include an ammeter so I had to scratch my head a wee bit. The electrical system on a TE Ferguson is made by Lucas so is different that North American systems slightly.
Oh, and I painted the PTO cover and installed it.
I painted the lights black and yesterday covered them with clear and got a bad reaction, so I have to sand them down and start over.

Attachments

• IMG_2551.jpg
    IMG_2551.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 18
The main tractor wiring is done and some of the light wires are strung. Some of the switches and wiring have been tested and passed.
I sanded off the light buckets and repainted them.

Attachments

• IMG_2552.jpg
    IMG_2552.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2553.jpg
    IMG_2553.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2554.jpg
    IMG_2554.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 17
I think the wiring is done. Tomorrow, it's time to check the fluid levels and top them up. Also, I've got an idea for a crank holder when it's not in use, so that has to be made.

Attachments

• IMG_2555.jpg
    IMG_2555.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2556.jpg
    IMG_2556.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2557.jpg
    IMG_2557.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2558.jpg
    IMG_2558.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 20
Never noticed it before, but that looks a lot like a 8n Ford. I know Ford used Ferguson’s 3 point hitch, looks like Ferguson used a lot of Ford stuff, too.

Latest posts

Back