Gene Winfield needs our help!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripper

Older and more rusted every day!
In case you haven't heard... 91 yr old Gene Winfield was doing a gig overseas, fell & broke his hip & needs our help getting home. They've set up a Go Fund Me page for him in case you want to help out...

https://www.gofundme.com/dr79t-bring-gene-home

I've seen Gene at many shows over the years & as anyone will tell you... he's the nicest person you'd ever wanna meet!

Here's a picture I took at Houston Autorama 2013 where he was doing a top chop on the Chevy pictured during the show... he's a master!

BoB

Attachments

• gene@autorama.jpg
    [email protected]
    120.3 KB · Views: 45
At this point they've raised $88K & I noticed Billy Gibbons & Jimmy Shine both gave $1,000, cool!

Toad

At this point they've raised $88K & I noticed Billy Gibbons & Jimmy Shine both gave $1,000, cool!

Toad

The donor list if you sort by highest is almost a list of who's who in the car community. Barry Meguiar for $10,000, Dave Kindig, Goodguys, Syracuse National Car Show, etc.

They're over their $98,000 goal now.

Not to question anything, just askin', but how much does it cost to get someone back from Europe ? Looks like his GFM account is at $104K, just wondering about that amount vs what it would cost.

Not to question anything, just askin', but how much does it cost to get someone back from Europe ? Looks like his GFM account is at $104K, just wondering about that amount vs what it would cost.

They say he needs a special ambulatory airplane!

Beercan

They say he needs a special ambulatory airplane!

Beercan

Yeah, article I read says $150,000.00 for a medivac flight due to his age, condition and the need for oxygen - regular commercial flights are not geared up for that. Gene is one tough guy but everyone has their limitations...
We should all be so lucky to still be kickin' it at his age :)

Man, that is a ridiculous amount. So, every person who goes to Europe (or other places) and gets injured badly, needs to get one of these special flights ?

Seems crazy. I bet most people stay where they are, get medical treatment there, and then fly home regular when they are well enough to fly.

Man, that is a ridiculous amount. So, every person who goes to Europe (or other places) and gets injured badly, needs to get one of these special flights ?

Seems crazy. I bet most people stay where they are, get medical treatment there, and then fly home regular when they are well enough to fly.

Sounds crazy but people were obviously willing to chip in, I did! The guy is a treasure!

Zipper

I'm guessing that most people have travel insurance or less serious injuries? I'm sure you're aware that after surgery like that blood clots are a major concern and air travel is generally a big no no so I wonder what kind of equipment and personnel they need for a flight like that. I'm betting that's the majority of the costs.

Maybe just figure what an ambulance ride that many miles on a road would be and then multiply that a few times. The plane has to charge for the return trip as well. At his age he will be laid up for a long time when he gets home. Sadly this is probably the end of his world travels.

Latest posts

Back