Just thinking out loud

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willowbilly3

A *real* tin magnet
Every so often, I see a 40s-50s custom with a bunch of work and they just look right, kind of like a Dick Tracey cartoon car. Then I start wondering why nobody builds cars that way. Nowdays it's just huge bling wheels and airbags to lay it on the ground. In the old days a properly lowered car had the top chopped at least and even better was sectioning and raising the wheel arches so you could still see all the tire. I miss that look.

While I can't find exactly the car, this comes close. Many of them skirted the rears.

https://www.customcarchronicle.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/CCC-les-popo-40-Ford-01.jpg

Times change. Trends change.

Personally, I prefer styles and trends from days gone by, but as they say, "you can never go back."

It's funny to me but for me, it seems the best flowing bodies and cabs were on the 30s to early 40s. I know that differs for lots of people. To each his own. They were the prettiest years. They had "style". I didn't get into the rocket look of the late 50s and early 60s. And from the A models back, things are pretty boxey... Hey, but that's just me!:D

It's funny to me but for me, it seems the best flowing bodies and cabs were on the 30s to early 40s. I know that differs for lots of people. To each his own. They were the prettiest years. They had "style". I didn't get into the rocket look of the late 50s and early 60s. And from the A models back, things are pretty boxey... Hey, but that's just me!:D
We might be brothers, Small. At least kindred spirits. And WB3, I am a huge fan of chopped, channeled, sectioned, smoothed, slammed, open wheel welled customs. I suspect that in our fast paced world of today, that is just too much work for the average customizer.

I was never a big fan of the radical customs, especially if to the point of the car completely losing its identity, (what the hell is/was that?).

Making the rounds at the local car shows was a 55 Chevy with the chopped top, lowered with the rear wheel cut outs , and '55 Desoto tailights. I'm like, who does that to a Fiver?

But the more I saw it the more I liked it, it still had its identity, but just different enough to keep me looking at it.

Then there are these EARLY FORD LATE MODEL T BIRD KITS

Last edited:
Except for a couple rust rods, I rarely see any recent custom work on local cars. There are a handfull of early 50's with frenched lights or different tail lights, and chopped 30's, but mostly those were done 30+ years ago, that's about it. There used to be a Shoebox Ford that was around that had real work done to it - Merc grille, chopped, reworked rear deck and lights, etc. Most everything else is either restoration or add on trinkets.

I had planned on sectioning my 48, but after the chop, I was afraid it wouldn't improve the look so left it alone.

I think the late 30's through the early 50's make the best customs.[dr Also, i think any of the tri 5 chevys look like crap with chopped tops.:(

Nothing wrong here......

Attachments

• genew1.jpg
    genew1.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 46
Yeaah, but everyone knows that the '56 is only part of the tri-5 because it's in between the iconic '55 and '57. We just don't talk about it in polite company. [ddd

Every so often, I see a 40s-50s custom with a bunch of work and they just look right, kind of like a Dick Tracey cartoon car. Then I start wondering why nobody builds cars that way. Nowdays it's just huge bling wheels and airbags to lay it on the ground. In the old days a properly lowered car had the top chopped at least and even better was sectioning and raising the wheel arches so you could still see all the tire. I miss that look.

While I can't find exactly the car, this comes close. Many of them skirted the rears.

https://www.customcarchronicle.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/CCC-les-popo-40-Ford-01.jpg

I can appreciate the car in the photo, but it really does nothing for me. The molded and smoothed everything just doesn't do it for me. To me it looks dated. I think there's a good balance to be achieved in a custom, and that car doesn't hit it for me.

To me, most radical customs end up not looking better than the original, just different. Especially if the intent is to gather show points. Then, "more is better" takes over where good taste leaves off.

Yeaah, but everyone knows that the '56 is only part of the tri-5 because it's in between the iconic '55 and '57. We just don't talk about it in polite company. [ddd
And here I thought I was the only one that noticed that. Funny thing is that normally I would like a '56 better for that very reason. But, no... :D

Like this one...

A friend has one resembling this car, same colors, and a hdtp.

Garage built , daily driver, corvette suspension.

It looks pretty special when you stand next to it. Or drive it

Sorry For the HiJack, WB3.

Attachments

• 56dave.JPG
    56dave.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
I remember my dad had a 56 when I was a wee lad....

My mom smashed it backing up into a supermarket parking lot light...with the big square cement base.... said that she pulled into the lot the same way she backed out and that they had to have put the light post in while she was in the store.. :eek: My dad didn't buy it.... LOL. :D

I have always preferred the 56. And yes I agree these shouldn't be altered. But once (someone else) does it, well I look with a critical eye at creative intent.

How about a 57 wagon? Warning, viewer discretion advised: 57 WAGON.

If that isn't enough, here is a video:
57 WAGON RAT ROD

Last edited:
I have always preferred the 56. And yes I agree these shouldn't be altered. But once (someone else) does it, well I look with a critical eye at creative intent.

How about a 57 wagon? Warning, viewer discretion advised: 57 WAGON.

If that isn't enough, here is a video:
57 WAGON RAT ROD

That 57 is pretty great for making use out of something that otherwise would have been crushed, likely. I like the proportions too.

Latest posts

Back