Windshield Install

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil cottingham

Fairhope, AL but originally from Centreville, AL.
I got my new windshield for the "Salvage #1" 55 Studebaker pickup. I'm not sure where to start. Do I put the rubber on the windshield first or on the truck opening first? Does it go in from the inside or outside? Top or bottom first? I've been told to use a rope and have seen that done many many years ago. Any help would be appreciated. Plan to do it in the next month or so. Thanks

Not sure on your Stude but most times the gasket goes on the windshield first. I use 3/16" or 1/4" nylon pull starter rope I like starting with the loose ends of the rope at the bottom of the windshield and pull the gasket in from the outside. it is best to have a helper on the outside holding pressure but not a lot. It also helps to have a lot of lube on the rope. I use silicone spray. You may also find that having a small hook tool to pull the gasket in in corners helps. You can make one out of a # 1 phlilips screwdriver bent at a 90 degree angle. I hope this helps and makes sense.

This is the way I have done them. Without seeing your gasket I can't be sure. some gaskets are made so that the window opening and the windshield don't line up with one another like a rear window. Generaly they still go in the same way.

Don’t forget the lube! WD40 works as well as anything, some people use soapy water but I’ve never had much luck with it. Lube the groove going over the pinch weld. Makes it a lot easier to pull the rubber over the lip.

And go slow, don’t force it, glass won’t bend! If it gets to a point and it’s too tight, it’s better to just start all over. I put in a curved glass one time that took me three tries to get it in.

Not sure on your Stude but most times the gasket goes on the windshield first. I use 3/16" or 1/4" nylon pull starter rope I like starting with the loose ends of the rope at the bottom of the windshield and pull the gasket in from the outside. it is best to have a helper on the outside holding pressure but not a lot. It also helps to have a lot of lube on the rope. I use silicone spray. You may also find that having a small hook tool to pull the gasket in in corners helps. You can make one out of a # 1 phlilips screwdriver bent at a 90 degree angle. I hope this helps and makes sense.

This is the way I have done them. Without seeing your gasket I can't be sure. some gaskets are made so that the window opening and the windshield don't line up with one another like a rear window. Generaly they still go in the same way.

Yep, this is a good instruction of how to do it.

They usually go in from the outside because the seal is shaped to hold it in against wind force on the windshield. So it's typically much easier to install from the outside.

I use a spray bottle with soapy water. That way you can keep it moist in the area that you're working in and doesn't make a mess when it dries. Sometimes it works fine dry, but the soapy water can reduce frustration a lot. Also, having a large suction cup so that you can hold the glass or manipulate it if needed is really handy as well. Something like this: https://www.harborfreight.com/4-1-2-half-inch-diameter-suction-cup-40993.html

Don’t forget the lube! WD40 works as well as anything, some people use soapy water but I’ve never had much luck with it. Lube the groove going over the pinch weld. Makes it a lot easier to pull the rubber over the lip.

And go slow, don’t force it, glass won’t bend! If it gets to a point and it’s too tight, it’s better to just start all over. I put in a curved glass one time that took me three tries to get it in.

This windshield is curved right in the middle and that is all.

Latest posts

Back