The Real Hot Rod Lincoln

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny you guys are talking about the "Hot Rod Lincoln". My Grandfather was Red Foley, and he originally recorded "Hot Rod Race" which in turn inspired Charlie Ryan to write "Hot Rod Lincoln." As a matter of fact, My Grandfather owned a new 1956 Lincoln Mark II one of just 3000 produced. That was a year before "Hot Rod Lincoln" was released. My Dad still had it up until 1988.

I'm really proud of my roots and this is probably one of the main reasons why I love Hot Rods today!!!

Thunder1

Last edited:
My theme song!

Hot Rod Lincoln was my theme song in high school... I drove a white '57 Lincoln Capri. That sucker would haul!!! Charlie Ryan - RIP in Hot Rod Heaven!!!

BoB

Yes, the story's I could tell Don! My Dad is the master story teller however. He was there first hand in the early days when all the musical history was being made by my grandfather. I'm glad to hear that some of you remember my grandpa. He died in 1968 when I was just 4 years old and his influence on American music has been largely forgotten by most people. Red Foley was actually my mom's dad. My mom was Betty Foley and she was the oldest of Red's 4 daughters. We lost her in 1990 to cancer. Red and my mom recorded several duets that were big hits in the mid 50's. A song called "Satisfied Mind" in 1956 was probably the most well known duet they did together. Great memory Don! Your right, Pat Boone is married to my mom's younger sister Shirley. Hence my name - "Pat". I'm named after my uncle Pat. My older brother is named after my grandfather who's given name was Clyde Foley. My brother Clyde is a professional career entertainer in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee. He inherited the musical talent and I had to choose a different path. I'm a supervising staff archaeologist for a company based near Nashville. It's been an interesting journey to say the least. I've been exposed to alot of music people and such since I was born. I wasn't aware of some of the influences my grandpa had on Rockabilly until just a few years ago which I think is very cool. I really enjoy old Rockabilly!! He was a pioneer in so many ways in several musical genre's. He wasn't the famous singer to me growing up though. He was just my grandfather who I can barely remember now. I don't often go into all this with too many people but the discussion about the "Hot Rod Lincoln" was just too close to home for me not to bring it up. I hope I haven't made anyone too bored with my story??? I'm just really proud as I've said about my roots. My brother has a website: www.clydefoleycummins.com that has alot of Red & moms music available for listening if anyones cares to go listen to them. Just click on their names on the homepage and it will take you to the music.

Thanks guys,

Thunder1 - Pat

Thats very cool Thunder1.

About 3 months ago, I went to a "Hot Rod Lincoln" Tribute concert. It was a great time. A few different bands were there covering the song. Commander Cody and Asleep at the Wheel to name a couple. Had a lot of fun and even got to hang out with the Commander in the lobby for a while. Super nice guy.

I do.
My moms family is 100% Scots-Irish. However I'm Cherokee on my dad's side. I'm 1/4 by blood. This is where "Thunder1" comes from. I'm one of the founders and the drum keeper of a powwow drum called "Tanasi Thunder". My son and I sing with three other guys in the group. Ta-na-si is the original Cherokee pronounciation for Tennessee.

Thunder1

Last edited:
Yes DMW, I know! I haven't seen her or talked to her in several years. My dad bought a 78 Mercedes 450 SL 2 door convertable from her in 1980. She bought it with her first royalty check from "You Light Up My Life". I took the keys one day and my dad let me drive it for the next four years. It was a blast to drive. It was fast too!!! I was ticked when he decided to sell it!!

Thunder1

Are you from Arizona originally or a transplant? There are hundreds of thousands Cherokee descendants across the country. The Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma is the largest tribe in the United States so it's not unusual at all for you to have some Cherokee blood. If it's not recorded somewhere it's really hard to verify for sure unless you do a DNA test. They can detect Native ancestry but not the specific tribe you descend from. Fortunately my dads family never had to worry about proving it. Both his parents family's have been on the tribal rolls since the early 1800's.

Thunder1

Latest posts

Back