The Roofus Special

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another pic of that 1936 Jag...

attachment.php

Did i ever reveal that the frame is built out of porch posts amd a cooling rack for ceiling fan parts?

Must be easy to get a title for "homebuilts" in Kentucky?[S Here in Ontario, we'd have to jump through hoops of fire to pull it off, I believe.:(

Looking forward to touchdown on all fours... As I'm sure you are as well.:cool:

Regards,
Shea:)

Must be easy to get a title for "homebuilts" in Kentucky?[S Here in Ontario, we'd have to jump through hoops of fire to pull it off, I believe.:(

Looking forward to touchdown on all fours... As I'm sure you are as well.:cool:

Regards,
Shea:)

It's not a homebuilt. It is a 1960 Jaguar MK2 that has been modified. ;)

I worked on figuring out what it will take to get the upper a-arms attached to the frame.

I cut these from a piece of 2x4
IMG_4739_zps019e4d9f.jpg

so that I could do this
IMG_4741_zps9ae01d3d.jpg

The idea is to mount the mercedes shafts on plates so that the arms can be bolted to the frame. The problem is that the frame is not square with the world...the rails are pinched.

The arms need to be mounted at an angle.
IMG_4743_zps4d9c8813.jpg

simple enough...in theory
IMG_4745_zps4d1355da.jpg

now to make it pretty
IMG_4747_zps38c7d5cb.jpg

IMG_4749_zpsa70b026f.jpg

IMG_4748_zps7f575924.jpg

IMG_4751_zps28b2b369.jpg

IMG_4750_zpsb35cccf9.jpg

IMG_4753_zps7bd541f8.jpg

I had to make a mirror image one too...
IMG_4752_zps6871369f.jpg

Next step will be to prep the front rails for the arms.

Last edited:
Now I need to figure out how to bolt the arms to the ball joints...

How about taking some bar stock big enough to A: bore a hole through for the bolt to pass through and B: thread on the other side. Mill to rounded grooves on the undeside of the ends of the arms to fit the bar stock into, weld to the arms, bolt through the bar stock, through the ball joint into the threaded bar stock on the rear arm pinching it all together. This will look better than an ugly tab and be stronger without losing the areodynamic profile of the arm itself. [;)

How about taking some bar stock big enough to A: bore a hole through for the bolt to pass through and B: thread on the other side. Mill to rounded grooves on the undeside of the ends of the arms to fit the bar stock into, weld to the arms, bolt through the bar stock, through the ball joint into the threaded bar stock on the rear arm pinching it all together. This will look better than an ugly tab and be stronger without losing the areodynamic profile of the arm itself. [;)

I had thought of the sleeves recessed into the bottom of the arms , but I had only thought of passing the bolt all the way through (using a nut on the end of the bolt). I will look at tapping 1/2 the sleeves.

Latest posts

Back