53 ihc

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
its centered. and clears the steering column by fractions of an inch. the problem Im now having is I had to cut the u-bolts on the rear end to drop the old one. seems noone makes them that size anymore. the only place i have found them locally wants $150 for 4 of them, (fastenall, cause they have to custom make them)

its centered. and clears the steering column by fractions of an inch. the problem Im now having is I had to cut the u-bolts on the rear end to drop the old one. seems noone makes them that size anymore. the only place i have found them locally wants $150 for 4 of them, (fastenall, cause they have to custom make them)

WOW! That's a bummer!:(

Do you have a spring shop locally? You know, like works on heavy trucks, etc.

Our local place makes u-bolts for something in the neighbourhood of $50 a set.

Might be worth a check in the Yellow Pages.

Truck's coming along great, BTW. Keep up the good work!:cool:[;)

Regards,
Shea:)

I'd get the 2 1/2" i.d. U Bolts and heat and reform them around a chunk of 1 3/4" pipe. Good old blacksmith work. Heat and a hammer will get you there.

If they need to be flat across the top, first straighten them and then form on a piece of 1 3/4" square tubing.

found a place called TruckPro that made my u-bolts for $35 for the 4 of them. Made me oh so happy. then went to the driveline shop. You figure for $120 they would use new tube or have a pretty weld.

Attachments

• u bolts.jpg
    u bolts.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 47
  • driveline.jpg
    driveline.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 62
Cool, good news!:cool:

Toldja finding a truck shop would be a good idea!:D

Yeah, driveshaft shops are usually about "git-r-dun" they don't care what it looks like.:( But, most people aren't building "hot rods" either.

Looks like you're getting closer, great job![;)

Regards,
Shea:)

it is a ton of work, but it will save me alot to in that its a complete donor vehicle for $400 that I am looking at. will solve my brake and clutch issues, and allow me to run headers. And, then I can put the front piece of the stock frame on the model A and box it.

what frame

cool, good reasoning.

the disc brake and IFS is why l sub-framed the dodge truck, much better ride and 4-6'' lower in the front-end.

what kind of frame are ya gonna use?

Later:cool:

67 chevy pickup that someone already did the disk brake conversion on. Im getting the whole truck for 400. The body is toast. A buddy of mine found two of them for 400 each. He's buying the one as a builder, and Im getting the other for parts. I havent seen it yet, but should in the next day or two. My buddy assures me its a coil spring rear truck, but I am sure those were leaf. I thought the coil spring ones were early 60s only. would love to be wrong, and will know in a day or so. Of course I will take pictures.

coil springs

67-72 trucks were 2 trailing arms with coils and shocks.

l have had a 1967 and a 1969 and both had this set-up. 1973 was the change to leaf rear springs.

Later:cool:

Well Reverend, I must say, you've done quite an impressive job on that old IH. Looking real good. We need some more pictures and an update if you could.

well, not much to report. Ive reached the logical end of my skills. Got a friend comin by to do the brakes, then exhaust. fixed my frame issue with reinforcements. now im helping a friend with the same truck. So im not far from driving.

Latest posts

Back