Starter shims

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob w

Still crazy after all these years!
The 377 (400 block with 350 crank) in my Fiat has an interesting problem. When taking off at about quarter throttle There is a metal on metal loud ticking sound through first and second gear. It sounds like it is at engine speed. If I let off it stops. Doesn't do it at light throttle or full throttle.

I'm aware some mini starters come with the nose piece shimmed out. This starter has one shim. These are a flat, round shim, not the strip shims that go between the block and the starter.

Has anyone else had a problem like this?

Could the crank be walking enough to make the flexplate hit the starter? Bad thrust bearing? Have you tried prying the crank back and forth to see if it's moving?

I had a Cat diesel break the crank on No 1 rod bearing. It still ran fine, but the front balancer wobbled a bit, and it made a racket when you shut it off. It had enough normal engine noise you didn't hear anything with it running. Shop guy got underneath, and could move the crank back and forth 1/4"!

Latest posts

Back