Old school hotrod model A pickup

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday, I got some stuff done. I got the front crossmember and frame horns welded on the new frame. Hardest part was getting everything square and even. I figured out where to make the cuts for Z'ing the rear. I am still researching how to fix the rear axle to the spring and wishbones.

412802250.jpg

412802251.jpg

Got more done on the frame over the weekend. Ran out of gas on the wire feed welder and had to dig out the spark box. Not pretty, but not falling apart. I will do some clean up welding when I get more gas.
I need to find something to make a central crossmember from. I will start scouring the net for ideas.
I got the paperwork back on the title. They want to see a complete vehicle first. I will call and explain why I want a title before I get too much time and money involved.
I thought my first experience was too good to be true.

Picked away at stuff over the weekend. I did a bunch of measuring and decided that the S10 rear axle is going to be too narrow for the springs and other rear suspension stuff I have planned for it. A friend is giving me a Ford rear end that should be the right width for the rear suspension.
I figured out that the rear end that was used for the trailer that the box came from is about a 35 or 36.
I got the springs and wishbones off the axle and I have an idea of what I need to make to mount them to the new axle. I think I will use the 30-31 spring because the 36 spring is just a bit wider and will not fit in the rear crossmember.
I notched the rear crossmember to fit over the frame rails but I don't have it welded yet because I am not certain where it needs to be yet.
I still need to figure out how to attach the front of the wishbones to the frame. I started looking at 4 link rear suspension setups but the price is way out of my league. I will stick to old parts and scrap iron I guess.

Working on the rod has stalled a bit lately. I did get a 8" ford rear end and got the brake drums beat off of it. Thinking about going with disc brakes on the rear rather than replacing all the drum parts.
Heading to a swap meet this weekend to look for a dropped front axle and whatever other parts I can find.
I am researching how to attach the floor to the body. What's there now doesn't give me much of a clue.

Hit the Twin Cities Roadsters swap meet today. Found one used dropped axle but it cost more than a new one. I did find a couple tools and got a new stearing ujoint for $5. Found some other things that were interesting but I am not far enough into the build to get some of the stuff.

I gave up on trying to find a used dropped front axle and ordered one off eBay. Less than $200 shipped. Now I need to find all the other parts needed to get it working. I am leaning toward disc brakes. Not exactly traditional, but better and likely cheaper than drums.

Thanks
I'm going to pick you folk's brains a bit.
I know that I am going to need some sort of x member in this thing, but I don't know how to make it work. I don't know where to put it or what kind of configuration.
I don't have the engine or transmission yet, so I don't know what location to put the mounts. Can I wait until I get all that before I design the x member?
Also, I decided to run disc brakes all around. I found some junkyard discs for the rear. I am supposed to get the dropped front axle tomorrow, but I don't have spindles or brakes for the front. I may have a lead on some spindles, but I don't know what kind of mess I am waltzing into. I decided to go with disc brakes because it is cheaper and should be better than drums. Cheap is the main theme of this build.
Any suggestions, ideas, or advice you guys can make will be appreciated.
Thanks

I got the springs and wishbones off the axle and I have an idea of what I need to make to mount them to the new axle. I think I will use the 30-31 spring because the 36 spring is just a bit wider and will not fit in the rear crossmember.
I notched the rear crossmember to fit over the frame rails but I don't have it welded yet because I am not certain where it needs to be yet.
I still need to figure out how to attach the front of the wishbones to the frame.

The stock '36 bones are NOT strong enough to stand alone. They were designed to work in combination with the torque tube, which you no longer have. They can be used, but you need to fabricate an upper arm to handle the axle wrap that occurs under acceleration. Here's an example...

100_0458.jpg

Got the front axle installed. Need to find some different spindles and figure out what I need for steering components. I had a heck of a time wrestling all the parts together but I got it.

Has anybody tried putting disc brakes on a model A spindle?
I know that it is easier to use a newer spindle, but I have model a spindles and I am trying to save a few bucks by not buying anything I don't have to.
I am hoping to get by with junk yard hubs, calipers, rotors, etc.

Brakes aren't one of those places where you can cut corners. Even if you were able to scab together some junkyard parts they would still need completely refurbished, and we all now how quickly that adds up. For $430 you can get everything you need to put disc brakes on your axle from Speedway. That's COMPLETE new brakes with everything plus the proper spindles already bushed with new kingpins. While it may sound like a big bite to take, I guarantee if you price it out you're not going to beat that. Besides, saving a few bucks isn't worth your life...

Latest posts

Back