Buick drums on Ford backing plates

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TiredIronGRB

Traditionalist
After searching and searching and not finding ALL the info in one thread I thought I would document this process with a few pictures.

First I found a good set of drums (90 fins, but this works for the 45 fins as well). Then I ordered the adapters from 29RAT on the H.A.M.B.

30_Model_A_67.jpg

The adapters come with instructions but basically you just heat the adapters and freeze the spindles and they jump right on.

Drums_02.jpg

The only machine work that needs to be done other that cleaning up the braking surface is to cut down the back side of the steel insert.

Drums_04.jpg

I cut it .250, basically you just cut the aluminum off the back side of the steel insert. You cut it down until you start getting into the flat part of the drum seen below.

Drums_01.jpg

Drums_03.jpg

I hope this is helpful to someone.

Good tech, thanks for posting it. Nothing says hot rod like finned Buick drums on the front of a rod. Of all the things on my 23, I got more comments on the Buick drums than anything else. Old timers knew what the deal was and even people not familiar with rods would say "Wow, those are some big brakes on there, what are they from?"

I feel sorry for the poor guys who are trying to keep their stock Buicks on the road though, as these are getting more scarce and pricey all the time. I paid $ 50 for the pair that I had on my 23 about 30 years ago, and then I found another set in the wrecking yard for another $ 50. (The second pair are on my Son Dan's rpu) Now I see them going for big money, sometimes $ 400 a pair.

BTW, Wilson Welding in Texas has reproduced the outside hubs you need to do this conversion. Dan is using them on his rpu and they are really nice and it saves trying to find the correct 46-48 hubs.

Don

That's good info. Thanks for the tip.

My 58 Buick drum don't have tapered inner bearing, or studs. It has rollers like on the rear of a Ford and takes bolts. So I'll probably need to go the 48 hub route. I've looked at the Wilson hubs and all the machine work is done on them.

If you buy the Wilson hubs, also buy their little jig for drilling the new bolt pattern. It sells for something like $ 5.00 and lets you do it on a drill press. I didn't know it existed and a local shop charged me $ 175.00 to do it! :eek:

Live and learn. :(

Don

Latest posts

Back